Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
UPDATE 23/09/217
@DannyT2011 Just pointed out that you can in fact turn on HDR when you want! Rather than relying on the 'Auto' setting which you have zero control over when it will kick in!
Just turn off 'Auto HDR' in the camera settings, found in 'Settings.'
Then, you will have 'HDR' reappear at the top of the camera app, as per normal. Touch the word 'HDR' and you are given three choices from there, 'Auto/On/Off.' Just select which option you want to use.
------------------------------

Just a quick test of the iPhone 8 plus in regards of its camera.

I deliberately chose a tricky subject with a wide dynamic range (lots of darker and lighter details) to see how it fared and just how smart the inbuilt HDR feature is. Unfortunately, the HDR didn't kick in and there is no option to just turn it on either! It's a purely automatic thing if it will or won't kick in for you.

I took the first image using the inbuilt camera app with portrait mode turned on and set to natural, then exported the image as a jpeg. I made the inbuilt camera expose for the highlights on the iris's pistil, where all the white and yellow is and made it lock the exposure for that as I took the shot. As can be seen, it didn't cope very well with the highlights presented here, there's very little detail there and in other sections of the flower with whites present.

I took the second image using the app called PureShot, which allows manual control of the camera, using spot metering on the whites, selecting where I wanted the focus to be, then underexposing by a stop and exporting the image as a RAW file. PureShot does not have the portrait mode background blurring, the background here is what the lens actually sees. There's a lot more detail to this one, both in the darker and lighter regions, which gives a good indication of what the camera is actually capable of.

One peculiarity I noticed, was that I had to focus from slightly further back when using the PureShot app for some reason, even though both shots were taken using the wide-angled lens.

Just a quick and easy test, but I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially when compared to what my old iPhone 6 was capable of. It's still miles off of using my DSLR, but for a mobile phone camera, it's pretty damn good! I'm yet to experiment with the portrait modes on people, hopefully others will have a chance to use some willing models for this and share the results here, my family have all said emphatic "NO's" to being test subjects for me!

Inbuilt camera
i-dKT4xDx-X3.jpg

PureShot, RAW file
i-FJRqsKZ-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Wait what ?
You can't toggle manually HDR on the 8 Plus ?! They removed it ?
The button is present on my 6s Plus iOS 11.
I know, in the Camera app on my iPhone 6, I can deselect or select HDR, but it isn't present as an option on the iPhone 8 plus and I expect it to be the same for the iPhone X too! It's a fully automatic decision by the phone as to when and where it will do it if you use the inbuilt camera app.

Crazyj414

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Great photo!!! I'm at work but have my new phone waiting to be set up! Can't wait!

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Ugh still has that horrible effect that makes it look like a digital watercolour painting :(

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So I took a portrait shot with a 7+ and the 8+ and the 8+ was definitely better colors then the 7+ which looked a bit washed out. Similar to the early review shots I have been seeing posted from various places especially the DxOMarks one. So the camera is totally improved over the 7+ at least in my rather quick and unscientific testing.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
It’s a toggle in settings -> camera
The problem is, that unlike with the older phones where you can actually turn on the 'HDR' feature, the 8's choose when they will go to HDR, not you, when you have it turned on to 'Auto HDR'.

Turn off 'Auto HDR' in the settings for the camera, found in 'Settings' and then HDR will reappear as an option in the camera again! This will give you the following three options in the camera, 'Auto/On/Off.'

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Love the portrait mode.

d28e5069da9115724b8be67eeb65db95.heic
I used it on the mutt too! I was surprised to get the "move further away" message the first time I used it. It does a pretty good effort of blurring the background, but you do lose a lot of detail on the side of the subject as a result! There's not the crispness and detail to the fur visible anymore. But, I'm sure that the 99% won't notice it at all!

Reactions: jamezr and JoeRito

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I used it on the mutt too! I was surprised to get the "move further away" message the first time I used it. It does a pretty good effort of blurring the background, but you do lose a lot of detail on the side of the subject as a result! There's not the crispness and detail to the fur visible anymore. But, I'm sure that the 99% won't notice it at all!
I used Tapatalk to upload the image and it and MR compresses the image quality alot as well.

DannyT2011

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The problem is, that unlike with the older phones where you can actually turn on the HDR feature, the 8's choose when they will go to HDR, not you, when you have it turned on.

If you go into Settings > Camera and turn off Auto HDR then HDR will behave as it used to, you will have the option of turning it on and off in the camera app once again.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ugh still has that horrible effect that makes it look like a digital watercolour painting :(
Which bit are you referring to? The definition in the stamens is pretty incredible and shows no sign of “watercolour effect” that I believe in the past was down to overzealous noise reduction.
Aside from the OOF background, the rest of the picture looks quite sharp. Very sharp for such a small sensor.

Reactions: artfossil

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I am now motivated to test mine out. Great choice in gun, and great shot. (Pun slightly intended)

Had to do a little cropping, it worked “ok.” It’s a little sporadic at times and I have to try different angles to get the lighting effect (then crop)...but the again, it was advertised for “portraits” and not things...I can’t complain, it works and for the quick shot it’s nice

Reactions: blairian89

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Had to do a little cropping, it worked “ok.” It’s a little sporadic at times and I have to try different angles to get the lighting effect (then crop)...but the again, it was advertised for “portraits” and not things...I can’t complain, it works and for the quick shot it’s nice

I am in the process of trying it on my pup since the woman is at work. Slightly mixed results LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.