Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Long story short I switch back and forth between Android and iPhone, currently I purchased a iPhone 8 Plus on Sprint because they are offering a Free line, just BYOD. I do hear that CDMA iPhone 8 Plus use the Qualcomm xLTE16 Radio chipset. So I wanted to ask iPhone 8+ owners are you happy have you had any issues ?
As far as I know or remember the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus didn’t have any “Gate” issues like bend gate or antenna gate like other generations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Long story short I switch back and forth between Android and iPhone, currently I purchased a iPhone 8 Plus on Sprint because they are offering a Free line, just BYOD. I do hear that CDMA iPhone 8 Plus use the Qualcomm xLTE16 Radio chipset. So I wanted to ask iPhone 8+ owners are you happy have you had any issues ?
As far as I know or remember the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus didn’t have any “Gate” issues like bend gate or antenna gate like other generations.
To be fair, most people didn't really run into any sort of "gates" with pretty much any of the devices they had.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
To be fair, most people didn't really run into any sort of "gates" with pretty much any of the devices they had.

Even more likely, most people don’t observe carefully enough or care.

But ya, 8 series doesn’t have any issues that I’m aware of.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even more likely, most people don’t observe carefully enough or care.
There's some of that that's likely in play as well. That said, if something isn't really all that observable or cared about then it isn't likely a "gate" type of thing (given what that supposedly implies).

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
i gave mine to the wife 2 yrs ago and it’s still great. Performs well. I can tell a difference in screen quality compared to my oled xs max thought,with the xs max being more vivid.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 8+ is the best and most trouble free iPhone I have owned to date. This thing has slowed down or struggled in all the time I’ve owned it and when I upgrade this year it will be through the desire to want a new phone rather than needing a new phone. It’s brilliant and still keeps pace against current iPhones as quite a few YouTubers have demonstrated.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I have one , my brother too , the battery life is utterly abysmal

Wish I'd got an x , I had the option , big regrets

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have one , my brother too , the battery life is utterly abysmal

Wish I'd got an x , I had the option , big regrets

You probably had a defective unit as the 8+ is renowned for its excellent battery life. Seeing as the iPhone X was effectively the same phone as the 8+, you’d not have noticed any difference anyway. The battery life on mine is still excellent after nearly 2 years of use.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Good phone but I've never been overly impressed with the camera on mine. Or maybe it's the software but photos appear more pixelated especially front-facing shots.

Debating if I'll upgrade this fall.

Reactions: George Dawes

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Yeah, pound for pound the 8 Plus is the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the most refined IMO. As a whole, including reliability, modern features, etc.

Also, it's the iPhone that "got away" because it lived in the shadows of the iPhone X when it launched. In a way, that made it even better.

Reactions: snipr125

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I just "upgraded" from an 8+ to an SE2. I got my 8+ at launch so battery life was starting to get a bit bad, and I prefer the smaller size of the non-Plus phone. I also recently began having a couple of hiccups with my phone (cellular/wifi not working until I rebooted), so while the phone served me well it was starting to show its age, almost 3 years after launch.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
You probably had a defective unit as the 8+ is renowned for its excellent battery life. Seeing as the iPhone X was effectively the same phone as the 8+, you’d not have noticed any difference anyway. The battery life on mine is still excellent after nearly 2 years of use.

I bought my 8 plus months before my brother - so it’s not the same batch .. , I narrowed it down to the photos background processes problem.

Seems to have improved a bit with latest updates but still not impressed with the thing at all.

Will probably upgrade to a new iPhone this Xmas

fadingxvampire

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
I've had my 8 plus since launch day. Other than wishing it was a tad smaller, it still works fine! I don't really have any intention of upgrading at the moment.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I agree. Had the 8+ for a short time and the battery life was phenomenal.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
If I wasn't running the SE (2020) I'd have stuck with the 8+. Honestly, other than size, I am not noticing a difference.
I'm sure you're noticing a better battery life with the plus, the plus was a better camera than the 8 also.

I would not call going from an 8+ to an SE 2 an upgrade.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I’ve revised my judgement on it.

Over the weekend we had a party on the roof and it rained all weekend , I stupidly left it on the roof , downpour / cloudburst literally non stop , the phone was soaked...

Worked first time . Impressed !

Reactions: happy orchard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.