Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fixxxer2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Upper Midwest
037768A2-A392-4C70-9D45-6239FCD6498D.jpeg
I just purchased a used iPhone 8 Plus. It was a steal for $40 from a older woman off of Facebook marketplace. The phone is in great shape other than a hairline crack on the display. It also will need a new battery as it’s about 80% capacity.

I’m wondering if anybody can recommend a good lcd replacement w tools? I’m seeing a lot of them on eBay and Amazon. I’m on a budget and want to keep it at $20-25. I’ve heard some of the replacement displays don’t support true tone. I don’t use that feature but I was curious about anyones experience? I’m replacing it myself.

As far as the battery will one of these off brand ones work? They claim to be an increase in mAh capacity but the same size battery. Are these false claims or is it legit? Please see the attached screenshot from Amazon. Or should I stick to a official apple OEM Battery?

Thank you!

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
They claim to be an increase in mAh capacity but the same size battery. Are these false claims or is it legit?
I take off brand battery capacity claims with a grain of salt. Those claiming to be higher capacity at the same size aren't using the same measuring stick as OEM.🤥
It's a crap shoot.🤷‍♂️In my experience, most of the time, off brand batteries have lower capacity and/or lifespans. I've gotten lucky a few times with batteries that actually lived up to the claims of higher capacity at 1/4 the price.😊

IMO. The 8 Plus is nearing its useful life span. I wouldn't drop a lot of $$$ on it. 80% battery capacity is plenty as long as you ain't planning on it being your primary phone. I've got a 7 Plus that I use mainly for playing games and letting the kids watch videos on a road trip. Battery capacity is 70% max.

Reactions: fixxxer2020

fixxxer2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Upper Midwest
I take off brand battery capacity claims with a grain of salt. Those claiming to be higher capacity at the same size aren't using the same measuring stick as OEM.🤥
It's a crap shoot.🤷‍♂️In my experience, most of the time, off brand batteries have lower capacity and/or lifespans. I've gotten lucky a few times with batteries that actually lived up to the claims of higher capacity at 1/4 the price.😊

IMO. The 8 Plus is nearing its useful life span. I wouldn't drop a lot of $$$ on it. 80% battery capacity is plenty as long as you ain't planning on it being your primary phone. I've got a 7 Plus that I use mainly for playing games and letting the kids watch videos on a road trip. Battery capacity is 70% max.
It’s got about a year left of apple software updates. It’s still a very good device compared to the android ones I’ve had. I’m only planning on replacing the lcd and battery. Not looking to spend anymore than $40 total. I just wanted suggestions on a brand name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.