Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I am in the process of setting up a new iphone 8 plus. I put my older phone next to the new iPhone 8 plus and the new iPhone 8 plus asks for my passcode. I enter it in and it starts the process of transferring info (or so I thought).

They both have different iOS's, so I figure it probably won't work anyway. But I wait a bit and sure enough the process fails. On the new iPhone though it starts with the "Hello" screen, I hit the home key and it brings to me to my passcode screen. I enter the passcode and ... fades to black.

It just fades to black and nothing else happens. I hit the sleep/wake key and it brings me to the "Hello" screen again. I hit the home key and enter passcode and once again....fades to black. Rinse/repeat.

Any idea what is going on? Or how to just start all over again with the new iPhone? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You can’t restore a phone to an older version of iOS. You could update the older phone and then make a backup of it then use the backup to setup the new phone if you’d like.. If that doesn’t work, just setup as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.