Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trying to Love Iphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Wherever I Work
I have been thru every model IPhone that has been made and thought I was going to love the 8 Plus. It is terrible; everything seems to interrupt the connection during phone calls: sitting near TV (tv turned off), sitting near AC air handler, sitting too close to Echo device, etc etc. Everyone tells me I fade in and out and I drop 2 out of every 3 calls! The only feature I like is the finger print scanner and now that is gone on newer versions.

I will have to admit AppleCare exchanged phone twice but with each one the symptoms got worse! As much as I hate to admit it - I may have to move to an android phone. I really hoped I would not have to wait a year or two for Apple to bring back finger print scanner.

Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I agree 100%

Worst iPhone I’ve ever had , cant wait to ditch it for the 12

Awful battery life , touch id nowhere near as good as face id and the screen’s too small for the size and weight if the thing. Worst apple purchase in 30+ years . I hate the thing .

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I agree 100%

Awful battery life , touch id nowhere near as good as face id and the screen’s too small for the size and weight if the thing. Worst apple purchase in 30+ years . I hate the thing .

Hmm interesting, conversely the iphone 8 plus is in my opinion the best iphone Apple ever released. I cant understand why you would say it has bad battery life, when this is one of its best features. I suspect your battery capacity must have dropped significantly (mine is at 89% but still offers about 36 hours between charge).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s the best iPhone I’ve owned to date.

Amazing battery life, still fast and smooth despite being released in 2017 and never lets me down.

If the iPhone 12 offers the same experience then i’ll be happy. The 8+ is known for being one of the most polished user experiences within the iPhone range due to it being a mature evolvement of the iPhone 6.

It’s a brilliant phone and the OP clearly had a faulty one and complained before getting it fixed.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I agree 100%

You clearly had a faulty unit as everything you say there goes against all the features that are promoted and many of our own user experiences. The battery life is superb on the 8+ and TouchID failures shouldn’t be frequent. There is a reason why there is big demand for the 8+ and secondhand values have held exceptionally well. It’s a fantastic phone.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Still loving my 8+. Great battery life, absolutely no problems with connectivity or any other function. Having unlimited data on it allowed me to save a fortune by disconnecting my broadband. I tether everything through my 8+ and it handles everything I throw at it. Fabulous bit of kit!

Reactions: Never mind

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Indeed, it really was well past it’s sell by date even on its release back in 2017. Something about the plus model, as opposed to the regular 8, made it almost look comical with those huge bezels and gigantic, ridiculous, clumsy footprint. It was dated then, and naturally it’s even worse now

A cynical cash grab if there ever was one, rehashing the same old same old. They shouldn’t have bothered with the 8 plus and just released the X and maybe the regular 8 as a budget model for say 499 at the time

Reactions: George Dawes

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Indeed, it really was well past it’s sell by date even on its release back in 2017. Something about the plus model, as opposed to the regular 8, made it almost look comical with those huge bezels and gigantic, ridiculous, clumsy footprint. It was dated then, and naturally it’s even worse now

A cynical cash grab if there ever was one, rehashing the same old same old. They shouldn’t have bothered with the 8 plus and just released the X and maybe the regular 8 as a budget model for say 499 at the time
Do you think it was popular though because it was the same internals as the iPhone X but £300 cheaper? Regardless of whether some people felt it looked ‘dated’ it was a brilliant performing phone and is still popular on the secondhand market.

The reason they didn’t offer the X and 8 only was because it left a big hole in the lineup for people wanting a bigger device.

Reactions: snipr125

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
All I can say is there's never been a better time to talk trash about the iPhone 8, with the best-ever iPhone 12 about to launch. It's the perfect buying opportunity.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All I can say is there's never been a better time to talk trash about the iPhone 8, with the best-ever iPhone 12 about to launch. It's the perfect buying opportunity.
Why does a release of a new iPhone in itself mean that there's some need or a great opportunity to put down some other ones?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Why does a release of a new iPhone in itself mean that there's some need or a great opportunity to put down some other ones?

It's just an old iPhone. It doesn't have feelings.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max will be written off as trash by me on Oct. 13 next week. But I won't start a thread about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.