Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roshafc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys,

I currently have the iPhone 8 Plus, it works fine, but not sure if I should upgrade to either the iPhone XS or iPhone 11 Pro or even wait until next year!

What do you guys think?

Reactions: TravisPNW

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I've got the 8 Plus and am totally happy with it. After watching the keynote and multiple videos (all that said the 11 is the best value in this years lineup) I decided to get the yellow 11 128GB. I don't care about the OLED on the Pro or the 3rd camera. I'm downgrading from 256GB to 128GB because I currently have 195GB free on my 8 Plus.

I'm getting $300 in trade for my 8 Plus (which I won't get next year) and after upgrading the wife and kid last week to the XS Max and XR via a BOGO Verizon deal I have a $270 gift card in hand that I got for the kids 7 Plus.

That has me getting the 11 for about $170 and change.

At that price... I'll upgrade and enjoy the new perks like Face ID and animojis (the wife and kid are bombarding me with those animated texts) and if the bigger and better 5G etc phone comes next year I'll be in a better position to upgrade with a better trade value.

I wasn't going to upgrade... but at this price... why not?

Definitely consider the 11!

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Hi guys,

I currently have the iPhone 8 Plus, it works fine, but not sure if I should upgrade to either the iPhone XS or iPhone 11 Pro or even wait until next year!

What do you guys think?
Should you upgrade, I think it comes down to what your needs are. The 8 series phones are great and will continue to be a good phone for a while. I went from an 8+ which was my favorite phone at that point, to the Max last year and it is amazing! Hands down the best phone I've ever had. No regrets at all, and I'll be getting the Pro Max around Black Friday, depending where the best deals are to be found.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Hi guys,

What do you guys think?
Up to you of course. Any of the phones will be an upgrade and the addition of Face ID and swipe based navigation make the iPhone feel all new. It was fun moving from my 7 Plus to my XR last year. I’m sitting out this year and will upgrade next year.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I owned my iPhone 8 Plus 256GB for about 8 days. It was literally brand new, I just returned it to AT&T. I’m dumb, and am never satisfied..

Honestly the 8 Plus is still a beast. The A11 is faster than any other phone, and nearly as fast as even the A13 at only like maybe 25% slower realistically. Probably much less in real world applications.

Such tough decisions with silly marketing luring us in.

I like the idea of 6GB of ram. So I am considering a iPhone 11 Pro for those reasons.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
I think this is referring to the PWM that the OLED screens have. Some people are sensitive to it which causes eye strain/ache and headaches.
I actually had to research this. Very interesting! I keep my phone on nearly the lowest brightness but don't seem to have a problem. It did "open my eyes" to problems others may be experiencing though. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If I were going to upgrade from my 8+ I think I'd have to go with at least an 11 and possibly a Pro. Last year's model wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade in terms of hardware to me. Yes, there's the full screen, face ID but I personally am quite happy with my 8+ and Touch ID. So unless I find one heckuva deal, I'll be keeping this one another year.

My perspective is, iPhone is pretty mature so the year over year incremental upgrades aren't as significant as they once were--that's not to say there aren't refinements, improvements or advancements in each iteration. Next year, the rumor is 5G and who knows what else. To me, that's worth waiting for because if I don't like the next flagship version, I'm sure I can find an 11 Pro Max that I'd be happy with.

Whether or not you should upgrade depends on what you want to do and what your disposable income is.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I owned my iPhone 8 Plus 256GB for about 8 days. It was literally brand new, I just returned it to AT&T. I’m dumb, and am never satisfied..

Honestly the 8 Plus is still a beast. The A11 is faster than any other phone, and nearly as fast as even the A13 at only like maybe 25% slower realistically. Probably much less in real world applications.

Such tough decisions with silly marketing luring us in.

I like the idea of 6GB of ram. So I am considering a iPhone 11 Pro for those reasons.
Unfortunately even the Pro models this year only have 4GB of ram - same as XS series. I was hoping for an upgrade there also as multitasking still leaves something to be desired... in my opinion.
If I’m watching a YouTube video for instance, and take a second to check a couple other apps (like 2 or 3), YouTube is closed already on the Pro. Very frustrating.
The 8 Plus has 3GB, right? Same as the X I upgraded from. You won’t notice much difference in multitasking if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.