Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Based on Apple’s past release cycle for iPhones, I believe that I have narrowed the possible dates for the iPhone 8’s release date. I believe that this current schedule of Apple product Releases began to take place around 2012, 2013. It mainly focuses on Apples biggest product, the iPhone. As most know, every iPhone, since the iPhone 5 has been released in September. How ever, what most haven't noticed is that it is almost the same schedule every year. The event usually takes place on either the second Tuesday of the month, or the Wednesday after Labor Day. Every year since 2013 has matched up with this schedule…

• iPhone 5S: Tuesday, September 10, 2013
  • iPhone 6: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
  • iPhone 6S: Wednesday, September 9, 2015
  • iPhone 7: Wednesday, September 7, 2016
With this in mind, the iPhone 8 event is most likely to take place on one of these two dates:

• Wednesday, September 6
  • Tuesday, September 12
Witch leads me to the iPhone’s official release day. For every iPhone release since the iPhone 5, excluding the 6S, the Preorders have gone up the same week of the event, usually the second Friday of September, with the iPhone going on sail exactly one week later, the third Friday in September. The only iPhone not to do this, as mentioned before, was the iPhone 6S, witch went on Preorder on a Saturday, September 12, 2015, and was released on the 4th Friday of that month, the 25th. How ever, there is an explanation for this. The iPhone 6S was in very low supply its first few weeks, so the extra week may have helped slightly with this. As for the Saturday Preorder date, I have read many explanations witch all seem unlikely. Below are the iPhone preorder dates and release dates for each iPhone since the 5:

• iPhone 5, 2012: Preorders, Friday, September 14, Release date: Friday, September 21
  • iPhone 5C, 2013: Preorder: Friday, September 13, iPhone 5S release date: Friday, September 20
  • iPhone 6, 2014: Preorder: Friday, September 12, Release date: Friday, September 19
  • iPhone 6S, 2015: listed above
  • iPhone 7, 2016: Preorders: Friday, September 9, Release date: Friday, September 16
With these dates, the most likely dates for the iPhone 8’s release date and preorders are:

Preorders: September 8 or 15

Release Date: September 22 or 29

My reasoning is that it depends on when the event is. If the phone goes on preorder on September 8, I Expect it to go on sail on the 22nd, because the 15th seems way to early, especially with all the rumors of supply constrains. If the event is on September 12, I believe that the preorders will open on September 15, with the official release day on Friday, September 29. I believe that there will be a two week gap between the preorders and the release date, much like there was for the 6S.

What are your opinions?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Best educated guess would be the first week of September for the KeyNote/Preorder, followed by the following week for the actual release.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Best educated guess would be the first week of September for the KeyNote/Preorder, followed by the following week for the actual release.

An On paper Release Date is One thing. For the lucky few and limited supply that manage to pay $1,000 on the debit or credit card at 12:01 Midnight for Pre-order.

Release dates are one thing. Another is when they will be Readily and easily available to walk into a store and Buy and IMO most likely will be Mid 2018 based on an old 4 year old design which no one wants. 7 and 7s vs An amazing new design which everyone wants.

And I can just see the threads now. "My Pre-order ship date was pushed back to NOvember blah blah blah"

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
My guess is it'll be backordered in highly desirable storage and color configurations for 5-6 months if it's half the upgrade the media outlets have it being

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My guess is it'll be backordered in highly desirable storage and color configurations for 5-6 months if it's half the upgrade the media outlets have it being

It's inevitable the media will say "it's good, but compared to bleeding edge Android devices, it is still behind." The iPhone 8 should bridge that gap, but at the same time, I rather have cleaner software and tons of support than bleeding edge if it means dealing with Samsung's janky software.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Who cares? It'll be some time in September, or it's a major screw-up. Does it really matter to anyone if it is a few days one way or the other?

The carriers all have the "new every year" and "new every two" plans, and they won't be able to deliver on them if Apple doesn't come through. You'd be carriers back-peddling if Apple weren't on-track.

Reactions: ABC5S

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
It's inevitable the media will say "it's good, but compared to bleeding edge Android devices, it is still behind." The iPhone 8 should bridge that gap, but at the same time, I rather have cleaner software and tons of support than bleeding edge if it means dealing with Samsung's janky software.
Absolutely. I have 7+ and S8+. I do plan on getting next iPhone when it's readily available IN store in my desired color and storage configuration. I hadn't had a Android since S5 days before this S8+ and it sure has came a LONG ways, that's for sure.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Who cares? It'll be some time in September, or it's a major screw-up. Does it really matter to anyone if it is a few days one way or the other?

The carriers all have the "new every year" and "new every two" plans, and they won't be able to deliver on them if Apple doesn't come through. You'd be carriers back-peddling if Apple weren't on-track.

I think some people do because they take time off work and like to see the keynote live.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Based on Apple’s past release cycle for iPhones, I believe that I have narrowed the possible dates for the iPhone 8’s release date. I believe that this current schedule of Apple product Releases began to take place around 2012, 2013. It mainly focuses on Apples biggest product, the iPhone. As most know, every iPhone, since the iPhone 5 has been released in September. How ever, what most haven't noticed is that it is almost the same schedule every year. The event usually takes place on either the second Tuesday of the month, or the Wednesday after Labor Day. Every year since 2013 has matched up with this schedule…

• iPhone 5S: Tuesday, September 10, 2013
  • iPhone 6: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
  • iPhone 6S: Wednesday, September 9, 2015
  • iPhone 7: Wednesday, September 7, 2016
With this in mind, the iPhone 8 event is most likely to take place on one of these two dates:

• Wednesday, September 6
  • Tuesday, September 12
Witch leads me to the iPhone’s official release day. For every iPhone release since the iPhone 5, excluding the 6S, the Preorders have gone up the same week of the event, usually the second Friday of September, with the iPhone going on sail exactly one week later, the third Friday in September. The only iPhone not to do this, as mentioned before, was the iPhone 6S, witch went on Preorder on a Saturday, September 12, 2015, and was released on the 4th Friday of that month, the 25th. How ever, there is an explanation for this. The iPhone 6S was in very low supply its first few weeks, so the extra week may have helped slightly with this. As for the Saturday Preorder date, I have read many explanations witch all seem unlikely. Below are the iPhone preorder dates and release dates for each iPhone since the 5:

• iPhone 5, 2012: Preorders, Friday, September 14, Release date: Friday, September 21
  • iPhone 5C, 2013: Preorder: Friday, September 13, iPhone 5S release date: Friday, September 20
  • iPhone 6, 2014: Preorder: Friday, September 12, Release date: Friday, September 19
  • iPhone 6S, 2015: listed above
  • iPhone 7, 2016: Preorders: Friday, September 9, Release date: Friday, September 16
With these dates, the most likely dates for the iPhone 8’s release date and preorders are:

Preorders: September 8 or 15

Release Date: September 22 or 29

My reasoning is that it depends on when the event is. If the phone goes on preorder on September 8, I Expect it to go on sail on the 22nd, because the 15th seems way to early, especially with all the rumors of supply constrains. If the event is on September 12, I believe that the preorders will open on September 15, with the official release day on Friday, September 29. I believe that there will be a two week gap between the preorders and the release date, much like there was for the 6S.

What are your opinions?
Sept mid month , 2018

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.