Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I am looking at buying an 8+. It is unlocked but not the original Verizon model. Is there a reason to avoid an unlocked non Verizon model? Thanks guys.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
The Verizon model has a cdma chip for when lte isn’t available, the att/ t mobile one does not. I know that Verizon is going to turn off their 3g network someday but as of now it’s still on so hard a downside.

I’d also make sure that verizon will let you activate it. I’m assuming they will but just to make sure.

Finally, iirc the Verizon model had a Qualcomm modem and the att model had an intel modem. The intel modem was arguably inferior.

If Verizon lets you activate it and you are getting it for a good price, I don’t think there are any major issues but definitely some differences.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
The Verizon model has a cdma chip for when lte isn’t available, the att/ t mobile one does not. I know that Verizon is going to turn off their 3g network someday but as of now it’s still on so hard a downside.

I’d also make sure that verizon will let you activate it. I’m assuming they will but just to make sure.

Finally, iirc the Verizon model had a Qualcomm modem and the att model had an intel modem. The intel modem was arguably inferior.

If Verizon lets you activate it and you are getting it for a good price, I don’t think there are any major issues but definitely some differences.

So even if the phone is unlocked it may not work if I just pop my Verizon sim into it?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
If it’s unlocked by Apple it will work on Verizon. If it’s unlocked by AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint it will not. You want model A1864. It can be found in settings>general>about>model number. Tap the model number displayed and it will convert to the A number.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
So even if the phone is unlocked it may not work if I just pop my Verizon sim into it?
You’d probably want to do a device check on Verizon’s website to see if it’s compatible. Sometime over the last year or so, Verizon changed their policy so that they won’t activate any non-LTE devices on their network. It’s possible that with that change, they are allowing the ATT/T Mobile version of the iPhone 8, but that’s not guaranteed. You can find a checked on their website to see if your device is compatible. Just type in the IMEI & they will tell you.

FYI, an unlocked Sprint version should also work on Verizon, as they both use CDMA & IIRC they both actually sold the same model of iPhone 8+. I just typed in my Sprint iPhone 8 IMEI to the checker and my device is compatible with Verizon.

Reactions: 7thson

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
You’d probably want to do a device check on Verizon’s website to see if it’s compatible. Sometime over the last year or so, Verizon changed their policy so that they won’t activate any non-LTE devices on their network. It’s possible that with that change, they are allowing the ATT/T Mobile version of the iPhone 8, but that’s not guaranteed. You can find a checked on their website to see if your device is compatible. Just type in the IMEI & they will tell you.

FYI, an unlocked Sprint version should also work on Verizon, as they both use CDMA & IIRC they both actually sold the same model of iPhone 8+. I just typed in my Sprint iPhone 8 IMEI to the checker and my device is compatible with Verizon.
This is the best way to be certain of compatibility. My understanding from talking to sales staff at Verizon was unlocked from Apple or Verizon but I do recall others echoing the above info.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Any reason for an 8+? I have one now (I’ve owned 3) and I would highly suggest spending a few more bucks on an xr if possible. Way more phone for not much more money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.