Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
It's my daughter's birthday at the end of the month (she will be 11) currently she's using my old iPhone 6 but has cracked the screen (for the second time!!!).

So I've bought her an iPhone 8 to replace it and plan to buy her a proper case and screen protector, so I hopefully don't need to repair her new phone anytime soon.

I would very much appreciate any advice from iPhone 8 owners.

Currently I'm looking at the Otterbox Symmetry as it has a pink shade which my daughter might love - but I'm VERY much open to other suggestions - especially if they are pink!

Also, screen protectors. I've never used one and I've had every iPhone since the first (and have never needed any repairs). But I hear that the modern glass ones are excellent. Is there a recommended brand? I hear some don't cover the entire front of the phone, I assume that's bad??

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Install something better than the Symmetry. For young users (or those prone to dropping their devices), consider 2 or 3 piece case designs as they offer much better shock protection. For instance, look at the Commuter (you'll find many manufacturers that offer similar designs for much less).

For screen protectors, generally, the full-screen designs (ones with black or white painted edges) are thicker and offer better protection.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You can get a case that will help protect a phone WHEN it gets dropped
Or
You can get a case that makes it nearly impossible to drop it.
I'm a die hard fan of the second method.

Get her a Loopy Case. They're awesome (and they have lots of girly colors too).
They are thin and very easy to snap on & off. I use them on all my phones. Required equipment for a plus sized phone. (Yes I have an iPhone 8 too)
Once you use it - it's hard to go back to anything else.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
For screen protectors, I use these on my wife's 8 and my 8+ They are edge-to-edge, extremely durable. and you don't even know they are on unless you look for them.

Manto 2-pack screen protector for iPhone 7, 8, 6S

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I'll add the Spigen Tough Armor to the aforementioned Speck Presidio Grip and OtterBox Commuter cases.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I've used a Speck Presidio Grip case along with a glass screen protector for almost 3 years now. So far so good, although I’m not sure this case would appeal to a 11yr. old but it is grippy. I have never used a Loopy case but it looks interesting and might help with drops and small hands.

As for screen protectors..I’ve used both expensive and cheap and I’ve cracked a few, but in all situations my phone remained safe so I do believe they help.

The glass backs on these phones are the most expensive as far as repairs go so I'd suggest AppleCare in addition to the above for peace of mind.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I swear by the Speck Presidio Grip cases. Best grip of any case I ever used so far and very good protection.
Another vote here. Good balance between thickness and protection. Pricey unless you can get it discounted, though.

I backordered this one to pair with a white iPhone SE 2020. Hope it goes back in stock.

If your daughter likes a bit of sparkle (more subdued in real life compared to pics), this one's in stock right now.

Before the Speck Presidio Grip was introduced, I used the Speck CandyShell Grip. Both greatly helped preventing drops. The rubber grips peeled off on the CandyShell more quickly, though. The Presidio, the grips are still intact.

The rubber on the Presidio does get worn out over time but it's not a big problem as long as you don't often need to remove the phone from case. If you buy from an authorized seller, Speck offers lifetime warranty on the Presidio. I just sent pictures of my almost 4-yr old iPhone 7 case (shipped and sold by Amazon.com) with the rubber around the screen bezel peeling off and Speck is sending a replacement. Alas, they do require a receipt so I couldn't get the one I bought from Target replaced.

Mind, since you're looking at the Symmetry, you might want to consider the Otter+Pop Symmetry cases as well. The built-in PopSocket might help with holding on to the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladybug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.