Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Hi I wonder if someone can advise on the screen in an iPhone 8 is the screen supposed to be dull i have recently purchased an iPhone 8 and the screen looks completely different than my iPhone 5s the white background on google looks off grey I have changed different settings and it still looks washed out
Thank you

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The screen may have been replaced if the device isn't new.

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
I bought the phone as a refurbished but the phones is in brand new condition is there anyway to tell if it’s had a new screen

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I bought the phone as a refurbished but the phones is in brand new condition is there anyway to tell if it’s had a new screen

You would have to open it up to inspect the markings on the display flex cable.

Unless it's an Apple Certified Refurbished device sold by Apple, the replacement display will likely be non-original.

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
You would have to open it up to inspect the markings on the display flex cable.

Unless it's an Apple Certified Refurbished device sold by Apple, the replacement display will likely be non-original

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
When I checked the model number it’s not listed as a refurbished or repair but as a new iPhone

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
When I checked the model number it’s not listed as a refurbished or repair but as a new iPhone

That means a third-party refurbished the phone and used a crappy display. Only Apple has the ability to change the model number to an official Apple Refurbished device.

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
My question is even if it’s sold as a refurbished phone could it still not be a new phone

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
I have checked on apple and it is not eligible for support also it was purchased in a different country that’s what apple say

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I have checked on apple and it is not eligible for support also it was purchased in a different country that’s what apple say

Not eligible for support means it's been activated/used for at least 1 year. So not a new device.

Jayjay2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
But shouldn’t the model number state it is refurbished I was told by a friend if it starts with m it is a new device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.