Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I checked, and didn’t see this posted yet.

Casey isn’t exactly unbiased, which he acknowledges up front, but I still appreciate the comparison. I’m getting neither the Note nor the iPhone 8, as I’ll be getting the X, but this is a good look at how well both cameras (and the software running them) are.

My preference is for the warmer tones of the iPhone, but that’s purely a preference.

There’s no doubt that the Note has a better mic (also stereo vs. mono), and I thought the OIS was way smoother from the iPhone. IMO, the slow mo was a draw.

Reactions: macTW

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Fact: Casey is paid by Samsung. He even filmed a commercial for Samsung.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

He say's he has an affiliation with Samsung during the video and is wearing an S3 it looks like.

However, he's conducting a comparison, not really a review. His experience of Samsung Note 8 going cooler, and iPhone 8+ going warmer matches my own photo comparisons with the S8+ and 8+.

Though, I have to say, while I think photo preference can go either way depending on light and subject, video overall looks better on the iPhone 8+ in his test.

Reactions: rwings01 and Ntombi

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It’s crazy how quiet the mic is on the iPhone videos yet when I take videos I never find it that quiet

I noticed this also. I believe the rig he devised is pressing the iPhone 8 microphone up against the S8. Thereby blocking the audio.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I stated that he wasn’t unbiased in my first sentence about the video. What more do you want?
[doublepost=1506909398][/doublepost]
I noticed this also. I believe the rig he devised is pressing the iPhone 8 microphone up against the S8. Thereby blocking the audio.
I wondered that myself.

The YouTube comments (I know, I know) has quite a few accusations of audio sabatoge. I don’t know about that, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering the Note does record in stereo, but it was a stark difference.

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011

Casey does contract work for Samsung, and has actually not done just one commercial, but a few projects with them. He also does work for Boosted, Nike, and I think DJI, etc.

However, when he reviews stuff he is pretty upfront with any affiliations he's had with companies he's worked with. Also, he has a history of working with video (that predates his YouTube stuff) so I would trust his feedback on something like this.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
audio quality has definitely been the weak link of the iphone the last few years. i'm surprised apple has not reacted to this.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
E58FB354-4768-438F-8B9F-D71F2DB22021.jpeg

Where is the 8+ Mic pressed against the Samsung?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
View attachment 722912

Where is the 8+ Mic pressed against the Samsung?

I believe one of the mics is on the back near the camera. Also i'm sure Casey filmed over a few days. it's possible he removed the cameras from the rig in-between this shot and the others. There are a number of possible explanations. but it's not my job to be the detective here. I agree the audio sounded unusual being a multi generational iPhone user. I have never personally encountered audio that bad. I can only assume the problem was user error. I proposed one possible explanation.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
now that i've finally had the time to watch it:

can't really say which one is better. both seem to have scenes, where they are better than the other one. just like with the photos.

and about the sound:
both are a bit disappointing in that area... the iPhone sounds very muffled and the note 8 is a bit overtuned and leads to a raspy sound (he has a very aggressive voice though ;) )

4k60fps was missing though. but i guess it will have to wait until samsung releases the update to support this.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
They both look really good but I think the 8 Plus has better color. We're pretty much to the point now that you're going to be able to take great pictures and videos no matter what phone you buy - which is awesome, because true competition breeds improvements for all end-users.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I hoped since iPhone 6 that the microphone gets better in the iPhone. The comparison video destroyed all hopes. The iPhone microphone is still very bad.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Does anyone have either to post up for sound capturing test?

Casey probably increased db during samsung scenes.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
It's crazy how the video only intermittently looks in focus. It reminds me of watching overly compressed HDTV over the air-- sharp and detailed for still images, artifacts galore to accompany motion. I prefer the samsung's sharpness, but it looks really "clinical.".

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
now that i've finally had the time to watch it:

can't really say which one is better. both seem to have scenes, where they are better than the other one. just like with the photos.

and about the sound:
both are a bit disappointing in that area... the iPhone sounds very muffled and the note 8 is a bit overtuned and leads to a raspy sound (he has a very aggressive voice though ;) )

4k60fps was missing though. but i guess it will have to wait until samsung releases the update to support this.

normally phone quality mics aren't as on par to the pros, but its at least usable for most people [note most people... ie those who just wanna shoot video n have fun]. the pro/enthusiasts will already have some funky extensions lined up for it [external manfrotto light, mics, attachable lenses, DJI osmo etc++]

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
A matter of opinion. The 8+ to my eye is much sharper. However I would concede the Note 8 has better white balance.

hmm.. so you say the Note's samples are a bit less sharp thus appear to look cleaner?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
hmm.. so you say the Note's samples are a bit less sharp thus appear to look cleaner?

I... didn't say anything of the sort. The images look cleaner / sharper on the 8+ however the note has better white balance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.