Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quaresma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I was testing out my new iPhone 8+ and was really surprised to see the lack of detail at 100%. Even in good light.

My Nikon D700 is 10 years old now and still superb, and I know it’s stupid to compare a DSLR to a smartphone, but smartphone photography hasn’t really evolved THAT much in 10 years.

Anyone else seeing smeared detail at 100%?

I’m a little disappointed to be honest.

EDIT: And please don’t turn this into a iPhone X vs iPhone 8 thread. The wide angle lens is exactly the same on both phones. The only difference is f2.8 vs f2.4 on the telephoto lens.

J D A

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
Are you viewing the photos on your laptop?

I was reading a review and the photographer complained that iPhone 8+ photos were soft on the phone but sharper on his laptop.

Either way though yeah the cameras on both the 8+/X do lose quite a bit of detail on zoom. That's just the way it is.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I was reading about shooting in RAW on the iPhone and how that solves Apple’s aggressive noise reduction smearing. Obviously you get more grain on photos but, in daylight, it looked way more natural than the watercolor smearing.

I just can’t bring myself to shoot in RAW, only because there’s no way to do it without third party apps. Even though I have two apps that can do it on my phone, it’s basically useless if you can’t change the camera shortcuts to point to those. Ideally, Apple would just let you do it in their camera app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.