Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexiPhone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation, I purchased an iPhone 5 for my girlfriend off someone I know but for whatever reason he can't remember his apple id in order to reset the phone.

The phone is activated and in use by my girlfriend but it's annoying that we can't turn things like find my iPhone off or reset the phone so she can set it up with iTunes from brand new.
The phone IS active and she's using it fine with her SIM.. I just wanted to know if there's any way to deactivate that iCloud account so that she can put her own. I know if the phone wasn't activated you probably couldn't because it's an anti theft kinda thing. The guy is ready to give me back my money but I thought I'd check here first. I was thinking maybe putting in DFU mode and restoring? Would that work since it's already activated?

Thanks for any info. It is much appreciated.

Cheers:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation, I purchased an iPhone 5 for my girlfriend off someone I know but for whatever reason he can't remember his apple id in order to reset the phone.

The phone is activated and in use by my girlfriend but it's annoying that we can't turn things like find my iPhone off or reset the phone so she can set it up with iTunes from brand new.
The phone IS active and she's using it fine with her SIM.. I just wanted to know if there's any way to deactivate that iCloud account so that she can put her own. I know if the phone wasn't activated you probably couldn't because it's an anti theft kinda thing. The guy is ready to give me back my money but I thought I'd check here first. I was thinking maybe putting in DFU mode and restoring? Would that work since it's already activated?

Thanks for any info. It is much appreciated.

Cheers:cool:

Ask the friend to reset his password at iForget then you can disable the account properly and add your girlfriends.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
He can also remote wipe it and remove it from iCloud and she can then set it up.

EDIT: The single biggest question asked on forums and that is why Apple created this dual activation so people can't store and wipe phones and use it. How do you forget your Apple ID when you want to sell it and you should never walk away in the future with a phone without knowing it is fully functional for you - Just a word of advice.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
He can also remote wipe it and remove it from iCloud and she can then set it up.

EDIT: The single biggest question asked on forums and that is why Apple created this dual activation so people can't store and wipe phones and use it. How do you forget your Apple ID when you want to sell it and you should never walk away in the future with a phone without knowing it is fully functional for you - Just a word of advice.

Very good advice. Well said.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Get your friend (from whom you purchased) to open iTunes on his computer. Under the dropdown menu for Store > View Account, he can see the his Apple ID associated with the device. Seeing the Apple ID might prompt him to also remember his password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.