Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casper118

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Backstory: My mother once gave me her old iPhone and forgot about it. Her iCloud account is still linked to this phone and she now has nothing to do with me anymore. :/ Since then I've opened the phone periodically to see pictures of my family and nephews that I otherwise won't get to see at all.

About a week ago, the phone randomly went to a "Hello" setup screen when it was turned on. I guess it did a system update? It still has the wifi connection and the PIN on there so I don't think it was reset.

My question is will I be able to get back into the phone, and will it notify my mother by notification or email when this occurs? I don't want to lose access to this. :/

casper118

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
It is possible your Mom sent a delete device command if she had it registered in the iCloud.
I didn't think of that. If I tried to get it running again would it just ask for a password or something or would it notify her? I don't need her being a jerk to me any more than she already does. :( Thank you for the advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.