Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Following are the e-mails received from both iTunes and AT&T when activating the iPhone.
The data on the order and content of these e-mails is based on contributions from other forum posters and my personal experiences.

If you've received an e-mail that I haven't listed, please post below (and include where in the order you received it).

ORDER OF E-MAILS
The order and e-mails you receive may differ slightly, but this should be a reasonable indicator of where you are in the process.

Key is as follows:
V=Received when transferring from Verizon
E=Received when error has occurred
A=Received by practically all users

Your phone number transfer requires 24 hours to complete (V)
Phone service is scheduled to be disconnected on your current phone at or after <time> on <date>. Please check your email and be prepared to reconnect and activate your iPhone before that time. Please call 877-800-3701 if you'd like to make other arrangements.

You will receive an email to <email> as soon as your iPhone is ready to be activated. After you activate your iPhone and before your phone number is transferred from your current provider you will continue to receive calls on your current phone. Your iPhone will be able to make outgoing calls but will not receive calls until the transfer is complete.

Please refer to your Activation ID when calling.
<Activation ID>

AT&T is now processing your activation (A, V)
AT&T is now processing your activation.

You will receive an email confirmation once your activation is complete.

------

E-mails that list any errors in the activation process are commonly sent now, after the first two e-mails above.

Additional information required to activate your iPhone (E)
We are unable to locate the address you entered.

Please call AT&T at 877-800-3701 to complete your activation.

Refer to your Activation ID when calling.
<Activation ID>

"Rate plan not compatible with iPhone" (E)
Your current AT&T rate plan is not compatible with the iPhone.

Please contact AT&T at 877-419-4500 to select a new rate plan and complete your activation.

------

Transfering Your Mobile Number (V)
Congratulations, AT&T is now transferring your existing mobile number to this iPhone.

Your iPhone mobile number will be:

<mobile number>

Your iPhone may now make outgoing calls but will be unable to receive calls on your existing mobile number until the transfer is complete.

You will receive an email confirmation once your mobile number transfer is complete. If you have not done so already, please connect your iPhone to your computer now to complete this activation (or click here if your iPhone is already connected).

Service Activation Complete / Activation Complete (A, V)
Congratulations, AT&T has successfully activated your iPhone service.

If you have not done so already, please reconnect your iPhone to your computer to complete this activation (or click here if your iPhone is already connected).

Mobile Number Transfer Complete
Note: I do not currently have the text of this e-mail. If you've received it, please post!

Thanks for registering your iPhone. (A, V)
Welcome to iPhone. Soon you'll be calling, emailing, and web surfing in a whole new way. Here are a few things that can help you get acquainted and get going. After all, there's never been anything quite like iPhone.

<The rest of this message is an HTML e-mail with images and links to the guided tour, and other iPhone videos.>

If you received the above e-mails in a different order, or if you transferred a phone from Sprint, T-Mobile, or another carrier and received the same/different e-mails, please post below so I can update the information above.

MacBreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Common Questions Relating to the E-mails:

Where is my Activation ID?
Your activation ID can be found at the bottom of most e-mails from iPhone Activation Support (iPhone_Activation_Support@att.com)
Any e-mails from the iTunes Store (do_not_reply@apple.com) do not seem to contain the activation ID.​

Where can I call for help?
Users have posted the following numbers for iPhone Activation Support:
1-877-419-4500 (displayed at the bottom of many activation errors that appear in iTunes)
1-877-800-3701 (included in most error e-mails from AT&T)​

I haven't received any e-mails and it has been <x> hours!
Several users have reported e-mails being redirected to their spam/junk mail folders.

Please check there and, if you are worried, add the following addresses to your address book/white list:
iPhone_Activation_Support@att.com
do_not_reply@apple.com

Also, some users have reported only receiving the "Activation Complete" e-mail.

If you have any others to add, please let me know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.