Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
So there's plenty of rumours about the upcoming Siri Home speaker. I'll likely get one of these if/when they become official anyway, but I was wondering if there's a way to build my own using my iPhone, and connecting to an Amazon Echo Dot via bluetooth?

Here's my vision:

I connect my iPhone to an echo dot as the only bluetooth device the dot is synced with. I know already from amazon's site that I can enter a room and just say "Alexa, connect bluetooth" and have it auto connect to a bluetooth device. What I'm looking for from current echo owners here are the following:

1. Will this "Alexa, connect" command work to an iPhone, as I'm concerned it could be for audio devices only?
2. If my phone is connected via bluetooth and echo is my audio device, will I be able to speak to Siri using the echo mic, rather than my phone? (which obviously is doesn't have the same far-field mics like the echo does)

Im obviously trying to create some kind of Frankenstein mash up here, as HomeKit is far more efficient once set up than using IFTTT for everything.

Any echo/echo dot owners here have experience of either of the things above?

Reactions: Mad4clay

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
So there's plenty of rumours about the upcoming Siri Home speaker. I'll likely get one of these if/when they become official anyway, but I was wondering if there's a way to build my own using my iPhone, and connecting to an Amazon Echo Dot via bluetooth?

Here's my vision:

I connect my iPhone to an echo dot as the only bluetooth device the dot is synced with. I know already from amazon's site that I can enter a room and just say "Alexa, connect bluetooth" and have it auto connect to a bluetooth device. What I'm looking for from current echo owners here are the following:

1. Will this "Alexa, connect" command work to an iPhone, as I'm concerned it could be for audio devices only?
2. If my phone is connected via bluetooth and echo is my audio device, will I be able to speak to Siri using the echo mic, rather than my phone? (which obviously is doesn't have the same far-field mics like the echo does)

Im obviously trying to create some kind of Frankenstein mash up here, as HomeKit is far more efficient once set up than using IFTTT for everything.

Any echo/echo dot owners here have experience of either of the things above?
I'd like some response about this question as well. Any takers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.