Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuestionEverything

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2018
Hi all,

Some technical advice please. Running iOS 11.3.

I’m pretty security conscious and therefore took to disabling location services in my settings for all apps bar find my iPhone and sos. I also uninstalled Maps and other system apps which I rarely used. I don’t have many other apps bar Watsapp and email.

I do not share analytics with Apple.

Nevertheless under privacy, analytics I see a lot of data is being collated.

One entry which appears repeatedly reads (partially) as follows

“{"message":{"Accel":1,"Baseband":1,"Bt":1,"Duration":1,"DurationExitFromNoHints":1,"Gps":1,"VehicularDuration":660,"Wifi":1},"name":"VehicularStateDetectionLatencyStats","uuid":"6101aa5f-34b5-456c-b761-e4dea7fcd935"}

{"message":{"Accel":0.0,"Baseband":null,"Bt":null,"Count":1,"Duration":681.0,"Gps":null,"Wifi":null},"name":"RhodesVehicularDetectionLatencyHistogram","uuid":"8709773c-fd88-415f-a7d5-9db43a7ebdc0"}

{"message":{"Accel":0.0,"AccelBaseband":0.0,"AccelWifi":0.0,"AccelWifiBaseband":0.0,"AccelWifiBasebandGPS":0.0,"Baseband":null,"Bt":null,"Count":1,"CountMotionExitsWithBT":null,"Duration":680.0,"DurationBTHintFromLastMotionHint":null,"DurationExitFromLastBTHint":null,"DurationExitFromNoHints":null,"Gps":null,"HintsAvailable":21,"HintsDetected":1,"Wifi":null},"name":"RhodesCombinedDetectionLatencyHistogram"

Does anyone know what this is and what is being done?

I am concerned unwanted or rogue messages are being sent from my device containing data on my location and travel patterns.

If this is not the case I find it nevertheless a little disturbing that my phone is even collecting this stuff when I have all location and privacy settings set to not do so.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
iOS will still collect analytics data - but it won't send any of the data to Apple because you've disabled it.

Whenever analytics data is sent to Apple, you'll see an entry called AWDD then the date.

Each to their own but personally I do send analytics data to Apple as it is anonymous and does help with the development of iOS and fixing bugs etc.

QuestionEverything

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2018
iOS will still collect analytics data - but it won't send any of the data to Apple because you've disabled it.

Whenever analytics data is sent to Apple, you'll see an entry called AWDD then the date.

Each to their own but personally I do send analytics data to Apple as it is anonymous and does help with the development of iOS and fixing bugs etc.

Thanks for the response. I will consider to do the same but just to verify then VehicularStateDetection is a standard aspect of iOS analytics now? Including the RhodesVehicularDetectionLatencyHistogram, duration, etc?

I have seen other posts on this matter from people concerned but no answers; essentially I would just like to know if other iOS 11 users also have this in their analytics.

Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Thanks for the response. I will consider to do the same but just to verify then VehicularStateDetection is a standard aspect of iOS analytics now? Including the RhodesVehicularDetectionLatencyHistogram, duration, etc?

I have seen other posts on this matter from people concerned but no answers; essentially I would just like to know if other iOS 11 users also have this in their analytics.

I'm not sure I'm afraid...I don't know much about what data iOS collects. There are some sites out there with information - although it's quite limited.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi all,

Some technical advice please. Running iOS 11.3.

I’m pretty security conscious and therefore took to disabling location services in my settings for all apps bar find my iPhone and sos. I also uninstalled Maps and other system apps which I rarely used. I don’t have many other apps bar Watsapp and email.

I do not share analytics with Apple.

Nevertheless under privacy, analytics I see a lot of data is being collated.

One entry which appears repeatedly reads (partially) as follows

“{"message":{"Accel":1,"Baseband":1,"Bt":1,"Duration":1,"DurationExitFromNoHints":1,"Gps":1,"VehicularDuration":660,"Wifi":1},"name":"VehicularStateDetectionLatencyStats","uuid":"6101aa5f-34b5-456c-b761-e4dea7fcd935"}

{"message":{"Accel":0.0,"Baseband":null,"Bt":null,"Count":1,"Duration":681.0,"Gps":null,"Wifi":null},"name":"RhodesVehicularDetectionLatencyHistogram","uuid":"8709773c-fd88-415f-a7d5-9db43a7ebdc0"}

{"message":{"Accel":0.0,"AccelBaseband":0.0,"AccelWifi":0.0,"AccelWifiBaseband":0.0,"AccelWifiBasebandGPS":0.0,"Baseband":null,"Bt":null,"Count":1,"CountMotionExitsWithBT":null,"Duration":680.0,"DurationBTHintFromLastMotionHint":null,"DurationExitFromLastBTHint":null,"DurationExitFromNoHints":null,"Gps":null,"HintsAvailable":21,"HintsDetected":1,"Wifi":null},"name":"RhodesCombinedDetectionLatencyHistogram"

Does anyone know what this is and what is being done?

I am concerned unwanted or rogue messages are being sent from my device containing data on my location and travel patterns.

If this is not the case I find it nevertheless a little disturbing that my phone is even collecting this stuff when I have all location and privacy settings set to not do so.

If you phone is on they can track your location. The NSA keeps data on every single phone call in the USA. Not just metadata but texts and emails. Nothing you can do. When you are getting rid of that dead body, leave your phone at home.

Reactions: rafark

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
If you phone is on they can track your location. The NSA keeps data on every single phone call in the USA. Not just metadata but texts and emails. Nothing you can do. When you are getting rid of that dead body, leave your phone at home.

Not iMessages which are end to end encrypted. Also if you disable all location services and put the device into Airplane mode the actual chips get disabled making it impossible for the device to connect to any GPS service. Emails are same as iMessage if you are using a good mail service. The NSAs power isn't unlimited, they do still have to abide by the way electronics and services work

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not iMessages which are end to end encrypted. Also if you disable all location services and put the device into Airplane mode the actual chips get disabled making it impossible for the device to connect to any GPS service. Emails are same as iMessage if you are using a good mail service. The NSAs power isn't unlimited, they do still have to abide by the way electronics and services work

I think you under estimate our government.

QuestionEverything

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2018
I'm not sure I'm afraid...I don't know much about what data iOS collects. There are some sites out there with information - although it's quite limited.

Thanks.

I am now seeing analytics with bug type 211 which carries the following status amongst its details
‘ “ScreenIsLocked”: false ‘
at 3 am whilst I was fast asleep, my iPhone screen clearly should have been locked and was on charge.

Would be good if apple actually looked at these things and tried to address issues identified in them.

Reactions: c_spur

c_spur

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks.

I am now seeing analytics with bug type 211 which carries the following status amongst its details
‘ “ScreenIsLocked”: false ‘
at 3 am whilst I was fast asleep, my iPhone screen clearly should have been locked and was on charge.

Would be good if apple actually looked at these things and tried to address issues identified in them.

I’m having the sam issue and cannot one answers have you had any luck?
[doublepost=1528206541][/doublepost]I’m having the sam issue and cannot one answers have you had any luck?

Karmarose1972

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2018
I’m having the sam issue and cannot one answers have you had any luck?
[doublepost=1528206541][/doublepost]I’m having the sam issue and cannot one answers have you had any luck?

Having same issue.. every night between 8-9 pm same thing in analytics like clockwork .. I’m always at home way before that time watching tv.. so it’s not because I’m in my car moving going down the road.. so I got to think maybe since it’s appears to be locating my car I went out and pulled the battery to my car ... weird things no strange analytic like that .. ok so that blew my mind so the next night I didn’t pull the terminals off the battery to the car and the weird analytics are back.. weird...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you are security conscious you would also uninstall WhatsApp, owned by Facebook. If you give access to contacts the contacts are uploaded to a server and who knows what else is uploaded and kept without your permission.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.