Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
OK - here is my crazy story - a little long. I'm looking for advise on what to do next.

I've been anxiously awaiting the iPhone 3G arrival to port over my Verizon number. After Apple made their announcement my Verizon razr started to die so I figured I'd port over to ATT (rather then sign a new Verizon contract for a new phone). I got a free Nokia phone on ATT. Then ATT announced the real pricing. I would have been a customer for 32 days on the release day - too late to qualify for the subsidized price. So I planned on porting back to Verizon within my 30 days then back to ATT after release. Just in case I called ATT customer service to explain the situation and they said not to port back and forth - they'll put a note in the account and authorize a subsidized price upgrade since it was so close.

Yesterday I waited 2 hours (starting at 6am) at a local ATT store. When I was ready to purchase they said they would not honor the customer service note and on top of that they claimed I was not eligible to purchase an iPhone at ANY price. They said I would have buy it at the yet unannounced fully unsubsidized price which they're not selling yet. WTF? I left irate. I called customer service and their possible solution was to purchase an iPhone on a new line (counts as a new customer) and they would swap the numbers then cancel the new line and dismiss the early termination fee.
So after work I waited 1.5 hours at Apple to get an iPhone on a new number. I called back ATT to swap the numbers and now they tell me this is very difficult and probably impossible and they'll get back to me in 48-72 hours.

I'm in this mess by simply following the advice of ATT customer service. All I want is an iPhone to have my original number. I can't use a new number. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can achieve this if they tell me they can't swap numbers?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
They can swap numbers. Go to a local corporate store, explain the situation (try a different store maybe?), it takes literally 2 minutes to do what you're asking. At my local mall they were doing it all day because of the debacle that was activation/purchasing at the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.