Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I questioned this when I realised the condensation on the sides of the window in my room. I sleep in a very small room and it's winter here, so warm indoors and cold outdoors, and often when I wake up there is condensation on the sides of the only window in my room; after a quick search this is due to the high moisture in my small room, which stays closed during the night. I know iPhones have a good water resistance, but how about humidity? Please note that the walls are not dripping wet, the only condensation I see is on the windows. At this point I am considering getting apple care which I still can, but I don't know if this is a good reason? I am thinking that if the room is high in humidity then perhaps it's able to damage my iPhone's internals (?) or maybe this won't cause any damage at all and therefore it would be a waste to get apple care because of this.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I don’t think you need to be concerned about the level of humidity you describe.
Thank you for your kind reply. This sure is reassuring, I was worried because the room is small and remains closed ..and the condensation on the windows made me worried.
When does the humidity become a worry? Will my iPhone be fine even if I sleep in the same room every night while the doors is closed?

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Environmental Requirements
Operating ambient temperature:
32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature:
−4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity:
5% to 95% noncondensing
Operating altitude:
tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

More details see: www.apple.com/iphone-12/specs/

Reactions: jordysak

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Environmental Requirements
Operating ambient temperature:
32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature:
−4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity:
5% to 95% noncondensing
Operating altitude:
tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

More details see: www.apple.com/iphone-12/specs/
Thank you. But you see my point? It said 5% to 95% non condensing

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
non condensing as i understand it, is natural humidity, and not from steam or a humidifier.
So I guess I’m good(?)
Should I just sleep without thinking about damaging my iPhone due to some condensation on the windows? lol

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
You’re absolutely fine. I used to live where the temps went down to -30 celsius outside into a warm house. My home had a humidifier for my hardwood floors which would cause condensation on my phone and I never had issues. So you are fine especially if you are not seeing any on your phone.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
condensation on the sides of the window in my room.

Have you measured the actual humidity in the room? In cold climates, with heating systems running and no humidification, indoor humidity levels often are quite low when temperatures are below freezing. Cold window condensation just indicates that there is humidity in the air, not the actual humidity level - depending upon the level of insulation the window has.

For cameras you have to be careful when leaving an air conditioned room in a tropical climate. The cold camera when hitting the hot humid air will immediately show condensation. You avoid this by putting it in a sealed plastic bag when going outside to give the camera time to warm up.

Over the years I have spent time in the tropics and have never had any problems with my iPhones in these cases of extreme humidity. I've even taken an iphone through a waterfall at Iguasu while recording video. I expect your conditions are way less extreme so I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: jordysak and ericwn

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
You’re absolutely fine. I used to live where the temps went down to -30 celsius outside into a warm house. My home had a humidifier for my hardwood floors which would cause condensation on my phone and I never had issues. So you are fine especially if you are not seeing any on your phone.
Oh that's definitely good to hear! May I ask what iPhone it was?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Have you measured the actual humidity in the room? In cold climates, with heating systems running and no humidification, indoor humidity levels often are quite low when temperatures are below freezing. Cold window condensation just indicates that there is humidity in the air, not the actual humidity level - depending upon the level of insulation the window has.

For cameras you have to be careful when leaving an air conditioned room in a tropical climate. The cold camera when hitting the hot humid air will immediately show condensation. You avoid this by putting it in a sealed plastic bag when going outside to give the camera time to warm up.

Over the years I have spent time in the tropics and have never had any problems with my iPhones in these cases of extreme humidity. I've even taken an iphone through a waterfall at Iguasu while recording video. I expect your conditions are way less extreme so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I do not have a way or the appliance to measure the humidity though so I am not sure if the humidity is actually that high, but for what I know there are only some rooms in this house that have the condensation on the windows and others don't; I believe this has to do with the fact that some rooms get colder easier or I am not sure. However, my room is the one I am concerned about, it us not bigger than 3x5 meters, just big enough to fit a small bed and a wardrobe and my room tends to get the coldest without heating.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply.. I was only worrying because the room is small (and stays closed during night) and there is condensation on the windows basically every night, but its just that. Only on windows, walls for instance are not affected. Should I stop worrying about it and just assume the humidity is not high but normal?

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
A simple explanation of condensing vs non-condensing would be is it raining or not. Any before anyone jumps on it, I said "very simple explanation", it's more complicated than that. Bottom line is don't worry about it unless you wake up one morning and it's raining in your room. AppleCare won't do you any good anyway since it doesn't cover water damage.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thank you for your detailed reply. I do not have a way or the appliance to measure the humidity though so I am not sure if the humidity is actually that high, but for what I know there are only some rooms in this house that have the condensation on the windows and others don't; I believe this has to do with the fact that some rooms get colder easier or I am not sure. However, my room is the one I am concerned about, it us not bigger than 3x5 meters, just big enough to fit a small bed and a wardrobe and my room tends to get the coldest without heating.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply.. I was only worrying because the room is small (and stays closed during night) and there is condensation on the windows basically every night, but its just that. Only on windows, walls for instance are not affected. Should I stop worrying about it and just assume the humidity is not high but normal?
You'll be just fine. If the humidity was really high you would see condensation on the walls for sure. I have never seen it ever on the walls of my home. I ran my humidifier at 35% and never saw condensation on the windows or only slight condensation when I brought in objects that were in the cold.

Seriously don't worry.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Im in the opposite side of the spectrum. Air conditioned cooled home, the stepping outside in the hot humid Florida air, devices in front of my very eyes condensate with a film of moisture that can be wiped down. I wonder if that will trip the water sensor inside.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
A simple explanation of condensing vs non-condensing would be is it raining or not. Any before anyone jumps on it, I said "very simple explanation", it's more complicated than that. Bottom line is don't worry about it unless you wake up one morning and it's raining in your room. AppleCare won't do you any good anyway since it doesn't cover water damage.
Thank you for your explanation! Very helpful!

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I have never had a problem with condensation or humidity with my iPhone and its has been in very extreme environments, like my bathroom during hot showers.
Oh wow , but did it happen daily? Because I know with how showers the walls get wet too due to humidity

Reactions: teelyn

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
You'll be just fine. If the humidity was really high you would see condensation on the walls for sure. I have never seen it ever on the walls of my home. I ran my humidifier at 35% and never saw condensation on the windows or only slight condensation when I brought in objects that were in the cold.

Seriously don't worry.
Thank you so much again! Did you mean to say that you see slight condensation on the windows or none with the humidifier at 35%? But you said your iPhone would get some condensation on your phone, correct? Did you use the humidifier every day for weeks or was this an occasional thing? Because in my case it’s a thing of every night

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thank you so much again! Did you mean to say that you see slight condensation on the windows or none with the humidifier at 35%? But you said your iPhone would get some condensation on your phone, correct? Did you use the humidifier every day for weeks or was this an occasional thing? Because in my case it’s a thing of every night
Humidifier was run 365 days a year. If it was below 0 Fahrenheit outside and I entered my home I would see condensation on my phone till it warmed up. Never harmed any of my phones.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I do not have a way or the appliance to measure the humidity though so I am not sure if the humidity is actually that high,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.