Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
What's the deal with the inconsistancy of what can be watched from the BBC's iPlayer on an iPhone? Right now i can watch yesterdays TopGear on my iMac and laptop but not on my iPhone. I've noticed this before....If it's the BBC's fault I'll stop buying their stuff on iTunes....Whats the deal?

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
What's the deal with the inconsistancy of what can be watched from the BBC's iPlayer on an iPhone? Right now i can watch yesterdays TopGear on my iMac and laptop but not on my iPhone. I've noticed this before....If it's the BBC's fault I'll stop buying their stuff on iTunes....Whats the deal?

I think it's because the TV programmes need to be re-encoded for the iPhone/Touch whereas on a computer they only have to be encoded once so they play through Flash. Auntie has committed to bringing the iPlayer to all platforms.

I think we should love the iPlayer for what it is, excellent. Granted, we can't download anything yet but that may happen at some point.

HTH

- D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.