Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I thought this was kind of a disappointment. I already figured that you would be able to run Web 2.0 apps from the iPhone, given that it has a full version of Safari. The only real news here is that those apps will be able to interact with the built in features of the iPhone, which is neat, but not quite what most of us were hoping for. Anyone planning on trying to write some apps for the iPhone?

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
im still a little confused. so does this mean...the "third party apps" will have to be run through safari(constantly using the internet) and we will not be able to run them on the iPhone like on the home screen? -so does this mean no instant messaging apps?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
im still a little confused. so does this mean...the "third party apps" will have to be run through safari(constantly using the internet) and we will not be able to run them on the iPhone like on the home screen? -so does this mean no instant messaging apps?

Think of it more like Widgets - they use Safari to run - but they look like a different environment than Safari. AJAX can make these apps very powerful BTW - and yes you could make messaging apps with it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I thought this was kind of a disappointment. I already figured that you would be able to run Web 2.0 apps from the iPhone, given that it has a full version of Safari. The only real news here is that those apps will be able to interact with the built in features of the iPhone, which is neat, but not quite what most of us were hoping for. Anyone planning on trying to write some apps for the iPhone?

i imagine lots of people will, and i'm sure apple will post these apps on its website like it does with its dashboard widgets. or maybe apple will offer them on the itunes store like it does with its podcasts.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
ajax is a term used for the technology that uses both server side scripts like php/asp/etc and client side scripts like javascript for the pages.
so for eg- a messenger app will interact with the server to send and receive messages and notifications, while the client side scripts will display this chat messages making it appear to the user that the page is live and does not have to reload itself to display the new data.
this means that apple is allowing these kind of live pages and also allowing pages that do not interact with the backend server at all, but they will only interact with the phone features. a page like this could be as simple as a url/bookmark for a live page, or it can be like an html page with embedded javascript saved on/downloaded to your phone.
now apple could do something cool like making these live pages or application pages appear like any other application on the phone by allowing us to add these pages/bookmarks to the applications menu on the phone with nice icons, this will make the users completely oblivious of the fact that these "applications" are not really applications as in an executable file, and make it a lot easier for the users. we will get our answer on the 29th i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.