Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero_bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Howdy-

When I was making an iPhone application icon for my new app, I realized I could share the wealth, so I cleaned up my layers, named them, gave a few examples and posted the psd up.

http://blog.jotlet.net/?p=47

Go there for the full instructions and link to the .psd.

rssicon.gif

diggicon.gif

iphoneicon.gif

The metal background is included just for fun. Obviously it can be removed. I also provide a black bg so you can make sure your icon looks good in black (likely to be the bg color it will be displayed against).
I hope someone finds this useful!

zero_bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Oh, one never knows.

~ CB

Yeah, I'd imagine it's going to be similar to dashboard (since the icons are nearly identical), and we'll be allowed to have icons somewhere, if not on the home screen.

In the Keynote, Jobs mentioned "integration" with other iPhone features. I'm hoping he means more than just "Safari bookmark LOL"

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
One creative way to use icons within the current limitations would be to create a site, maybe something dynamic, that would act as a launcher. It would look identical to the iPhone's home screen, obviously with the icons being what you select and pick for it to display.. I'm not sure what else to relate this too, so I'll use an example I can explain. The same way iGoogle let's you pick feeds, so would this new 'launcher site' let you drag and assign internet applications to a grid and arrange them. Could be a cool idea to develop? If anyones interested, i'll whip up a mock of the idea. Not a coder though =/

aria505

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
One creative way to use icons within the current limitations would be to create a site, maybe something dynamic, that would act as a launcher. It would look identical to the iPhone's home screen, obviously with the icons being what you select and pick for it to display.. I'm not sure what else to relate this too, so I'll use an example I can explain. The same way iGoogle let's you pick feeds, so would this new 'launcher site' let you drag and assign internet applications to a grid and arrange them. Could be a cool idea to develop? If anyones interested, i'll whip up a mock of the idea. Not a coder though =/

I've built an iphone app that is used for managing your favorite iphone apps on the internet.

http://iphoneappsmanager.com/

It doesn't display them in a grid like the the iphone home page, but allows you to keep your favorite apps separate from your safari bookmarks. You can access a growing list of iphone apps and add them directly to your favorites list by pressing the "+" next to them. You can also add your own apps by pressing the "+" on the home page.

You can then press "edit" and delete apps you no longer want and drag-n-drop them into the order you desire.

There are more features that I'm going to add the the app in the future, link a rating system, an easy way to see new apps that have been added since your last visit. I just added the feature of having the full apps list separated into categories.

I was thinking about creating an alternate view for your favorites that you could choose that would display the apps much like the home-page of the iPhone. Each app would have its own icon that I would have to create and apps that you add by hand could just have a generic icon.

cdewitt

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Aria i love your app, its one of the most ready for release app manager out there right now. That being said the whole black blue thing is a little too much for me personally... a little non-apple idk just throwing that out there a simple iphone-esque layout would fit greatly

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I've built an iphone app that is used for managing your favorite iphone apps on the internet.

http://iphoneappsmanager.com/

It doesn't display them in a grid like the the iphone home page, but allows you to keep your favorite apps separate from your safari bookmarks. You can access a growing list of iphone apps and add them directly to your favorites list by pressing the "+" next to them. You can also add your own apps by pressing the "+" on the home page.

You can then press "edit" and delete apps you no longer want and drag-n-drop them into the order you desire.

There are more features that I'm going to add the the app in the future, link a rating system, an easy way to see new apps that have been added since your last visit. I just added the feature of having the full apps list separated into categories.

I was thinking about creating an alternate view for your favorites that you could choose that would display the apps much like the home-page of the iPhone. Each app would have its own icon that I would have to create and apps that you add by hand could just have a generic icon.

That's a really great polished app, If I were able to get an iPhone next week I'd definately be using it, well done.

I can only suggest the addition of icons somehow, maybe on the left hand side next to the app name there could be an icon, and when you add the app to favorites, the favorites view contains a grid of icons.

Then in favorites view, if you click the icon it opens the app. However if you click and hold the icon, the name and a brief description slides out to the right or bottom.

Just some ideas for the future, keep developing!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Howdy-

When I was making an iPhone application icon for my new app, I realized I could share the wealth, so I cleaned up my layers, named them, gave a few examples and posted the psd up.

http://blog.jotlet.net/?p=47

Go there for the full instructions and link to the .psd.

rssicon.gif

diggicon.gif

iphoneicon.gif

The metal background is included just for fun. Obviously it can be removed. I also provide a black bg so you can make sure your icon looks good in black (likely to be the bg color it will be displayed against).
I hope someone finds this useful!

Thanks a lot man! I'll download these when I get home. My first app ought to be released by this weekend. Anyone know where I can host for free?

mkrivanek

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Wow, very nice and polished. I do have to say yours are by far the most polished I've seen yet.

I've done some similar ones in an app manager that I'm working on, LaunchPad - http://www.launchpadhq.com. I've got a couple different versions of the button, some formatted for dark backgrounds and some light.

I saved a couple different versions of the buttons and their shadows/emboss and such without the actual button's contents.

Then, I save them out to PNGs and overlay them over the top of any 60x60 image. So, essentially, it takes a square image/logo and transforms it into an iPhone button on the fly. I really love Safari's support of PNGs and their lovely transparencies.

Congrats again. Keep the good work coming. If I get a chance, I'll clean up my files as well and post em!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.