Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
This must have come up before here but I can't find it so please don't anybody jump down my throat.

Often, too often, I tap to open a non-native app on my XS and it doesn't open. I just see a flash of it firing up and then it's gone. This has happened with my banking app, the Amazon app, my insect identifier app, with lots of apps. I shut the phone down and restart, and always that app will then open OK. Usually there are no other apps running when a failure to open occurs, there are no error messages or indications of what's gone wrong.

I'm fairly new to iPhone, only had one just over a year. Other family members who've had a string of iPhones say, 'Yeah, iPhones are like that.' So what's happening? It's not helpful to say I've never experienced this issue with iPads, nor with a half-dozen Android phones, I just throw that in.

iPhone completely suits me and I'm not thinking of returning to Android, but this is so annoying. Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
This must have come up before here but I can't find it so please don't anybody jump down my throat.

Often, too often, I tap to open a non-native app on my XS and it doesn't open. I just see a flash of it firing up and then it's gone. This has happened with my banking app, the Amazon app, my insect identifier app, with lots of apps. I shut the phone down and restart, and always that app will then open OK. Usually there are no other apps running when a failure to open occurs, there are no error messages or indications of what's gone wrong.

I'm fairly new to iPhone, only had one just over a year. Other family members who've had a string of iPhones say, 'Yeah, iPhones are like that.' So what's happening? It's not helpful to say I've never experienced this issue with iPads, nor with a half-dozen Android phones, I just throw that in.

iPhone completely suits me and I'm not thinking of returning to Android, but this is so annoying. Any ideas, comments, suggestions?
Would a "that doesn't happen to me" be helpful here? (I didn't think so.)

Occasionally an app will crash, there's just no way around that; but by "occasionally" I actually mean "extremely rarely".

I've had iPhones as my primary phone since the 3GS; and this has never been a regular problem for me.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Occasionally an app will crash, there's just no way around that; but by "occasionally" I actually mean "extremely rarely".

I've had iPhones as my primary phone since the 3GS; and this has never been a regular problem for me.

this ^

your software and apps up to date?

if yes.

Try restoring your phone, that doesn’t fix it, get your phone checked out at a apple store.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Every now and then apps may crash but if it happens often check to make sure everything is updated. As mentioned before, setting up fresh is also an option. As it’s intermittent it’s a bit trickier to diagnose but less likely to be hardware related.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
It does happen but as already stated it is extremely rare. Make sure all apps are updated as well your iOS. Try a hard reset first if that does not work then restore your phone. If that doesn't solve the issue I would think it's a software issue and would contact Apple.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Usually when this happens to me, that particular app gets an update soon after. Not saying that's your issue, but rarely does it happen for me.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Usually when this happens to me, that particular app gets an update soon after. Not saying that's your issue, but rarely does it happen for me.
I find it's the other way around. I won't have updated apps for a while, try to open one and it crashes. I check the update list and there's an update for it. Opens after updating.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I find it's the other way around. I won't have updated apps for a while, try to open one and it crashes. I check the update list and there's an update for it. Opens after updating.
I'm bad with my neurosis, I always update apps regularly, my wife on the other hand, I've seen her phone at times having over 20 apps needing updating, I'm like really, she just laughs...

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm bad with my neurosis, I always update apps regularly, my wife on the other hand, I've seen her phone at times having over 20 apps needing updating, I'm like really, she just laughs...
LOL. I've got about five or six iPhones lying around, but only one sees even sporadic use (my primary phone is a Pixel). My iPad only gets used once a day (at night) so there's always app updates to get to. ;)

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
LOL. I've got about five or six iPhones lying around, but only one sees even sporadic use (my primary phone is a Pixel). My iPad only gets used once a day (at night) so there's always app updates to get to. ;)
In all honesty, I think I'm on top of it more because I don't have a lot of apps on my phone to begin with. My storage varies from 25-30Gb at any given time. Most of that being pics/videos and music. I'm no power user, at least with my phone anyway.

Reactions: eyoungren

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
OK, a reset/restore did not fix things. But I have noticed the problem only occurs after the phone has been lightning connected to my iMac, which I have been doing a lot lately; 3rd party apps inc Gmail just don’t open after that unless I restart the phone. Weird, but I can live with it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.