Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
I use a third party map program (Magic Earth) since it uses downloaded maps. In iOS 12 the iPhone was used as a secondary screen showing the upcoming turn by turn directions (I used to mount the phone next to the car's main display). In iOS 13 this no longer happens. I don't know if it is a change in the base functionality of CarPlay with iOS 13, a change with the phone model (went from iPhone 6 to 11 Pro), the fact that I now mount the new phone in landscape mode above the car's display rather than portrait mode next to the display, or just a new API that MagicEarth hasn't gotten around to supporting yet. Does Apple Maps or Waze use the phone as a secondary display for the upcoming turn by turn directions in iOS 13? I will try them out, but since I didn't really use them much in iOS 12, I don't know if they support that feature at all.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
I think I figured out how to do this in Apple Maps. If I open Maps explicitly on my phone, it shows the turn by turn directions. Seems less safe than having it open automatically, especially with Face ID (have to pull the phone off the mount to unlock rather than just touch the Touch ID button).

Magic Earth works a little differently. It shows my favorites so I can set a new destination, but not turn by turn directions on the phone screen. Hopefully that functionality will return with an update.

I guess when I need that feature (which isn’t that often) I can use Apple Maps for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.