Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I just received a used iPhone SE (running iOS 13), which I purchased from eBay. Although the phone has been reset by the seller and greets me with "Hello" in various different languages, it asks me for a 6-digit code before I can proceed.

I've been in touch with the seller, and he gave me a 6-digit code which doesn't work. In the past, I've only ever had 4-digit codes on my old iPhones. Is this 6-digit-code something new/different to the standard code that needs to be typed in on a daily basis? In other words: Would there be a reason for the seller not to remember that code correctly?

What did the seller do wrong when he reset the phone? Is there a way to reset a phone so that a new owner won't need that 6-digit code?
And is there something that the seller can do on his iCloud account, so to unlock the phone for me remotely? Or is this an iOS-13-bug?

Seller sounds helpful and genuine, we've been sending messages back/forth today– so I don't think this is a stolen phone.Later today we want to see what's possible via iCloud....

Many thanks for your help!

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
He should be able to remove it from his account via his current device. On the Apple ID menu accessed in settings, at the bottom it shows the devices signed into his iCloud. Have him click on the SE and remove it from his account.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for your answers – albeit quite from opposite ends ;)
Will see what we can do later tonight. In any case: I'm protected through eBay / PayPal, so can always get my money back if things don't work out.
[automerge]1571329642[/automerge]
So, just to re-iterate (should I ever sell an iPhone or iPad on eBay):
What's the proper procedure to reset a device, in order to prevent this sort of thing from happening?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Will see what we can do later tonight. In any case: I'm protected through eBay / PayPal, so can always get my money back if things don't work out.
What's the proper procedure to reset a device, in order to prevent this sort of thing from happening?
Factory reset, remove SIM.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This doesn't sound like the activation lock, just the passcode to unlock the phone. 6-digits is quite normal nowadays.

Just connect the phone to your laptop and do a complete reset/restore - that should reinstall iOS and wipe the current passcode. If you don't have a laptop, find an Apple store.

However, if after you do that it hits the activation lock (it'll ask for an apple-id and password) then you can ask the seller to ensure it's removed from their iCloud account. Unfortunately, a seller not doing that has a high chance of not being the actual owner of the item being sold.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks. So - Could the problem also be due to the fact that I haven't put my own SIM into the phone yet?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

This answers your question and might help with your current situation (2nd thing they talk about).

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
This doesn't sound like the activation lock, just the passcode to unlock the phone. 6-digits is quite normal nowadays.

Just connect the phone to your laptop and do a complete reset/restore - that should reinstall iOS and wipe the current passcode. If you don't have a laptop, find an Apple store.

However, if after you do that it hits the activation lock (it'll ask for an apple-id and password) then you can ask the seller to ensure it's removed from their iCloud account. Unfortunately, a seller not doing that has a high chance of not being the actual owner of the item being sold.

I already tried this via iTunes. Didn't wipe the passcode though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.