Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyaC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I purchased a ringtone to assign to family members in my contacts. I've found that when outside calls come in, that are not in my contacts, the same ringtone I purchased was auto assigned by my phone as the default to outside numbers. I only want my contacts that I've assigned to have this purchased ringtone. How do I change this?

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Apparently it has set your purchased ringtone to be your system default ringtone. To change it:
Settings > Sounds (or Sounds & Haptics) > Ringtone
Set it to something else.

TonyaC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Apparently it has set your purchased ringtone to be your system default ringtone. To change it:
Settings > Sounds (or Sounds & Haptics) > Ringtone
Set it to something else.
[doublepost=1485557758][/doublepost]I checked and it was set to a default ringtone not my purchased one. Still cannot figure out how to fix this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
[doublepost=1485557758][/doublepost]I checked and it was set to a default ringtone not my purchased one. Still cannot figure out how to fix this.
First, leave the ringtone you want as the default assigned as was suggested above.

You have to then go to each family member contact and assign them this new ringtone in the Contacts app.

So what happens is that when a call comes in and it's found in your contacts and the phone sees that the Contact has a specific ringtone assigned to it, it uses that ringtone. Otherwise it will revert to the default. Which is what you want for non-family members and people not in your contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.