Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhuin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
I would love enlightenment:

1. My iPhone always knows its location, where ever I go. ... Even with Location Services on or off. ... This knowledge of its location is important when I want it to auto-connect from the OTAN to the most optimal, desirable WiFi AP in range.
2. The location of numerous prime WiFi AP's relatively close to my iPhone, where ever I go, are completely available in a comprehensive Apple data base.
3. My iPhone does not always auto-connect to a close WiFi AP with the strongest signal. Therefore, there are other criteria, in addition to signal strength, for the connection: Location of my iPhone, it turns out, is an important parameter, among others, but of course not the only one and not even the primary one, but an important one. The knowledge of the location of my iPhone, by my iPhone, is used as one criteria for a switch that ensures, as much as possible, a connection to the most favored WiFi AP in order to, among other things, maximize such things as continual, optimal, reliable connection to this most desirable AP.

My Question:

What are the internal dynamics or algorithms used by my iPhone, associated with its location, to go from the OTAN and auto-connect to the most favored WiFi AP?

Thanks

Rhuin
Secos90265@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.