Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Athabasca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this...

I am considering upgrading to 1.1.4 from 1.1.1 with an unlocked iPhone. I would like to make a complete backup of the iPhone's file system first before I do this. I know its possible to make a ghost image of a hard-drive or flash key using Ghost8 or Ghost10...but is it possible to make an image of the IPhone? I really have no idea what kind of filesystem is used on the Iphone (i.e. NTFS, FAT, or Extended)...or if it even matters to ghost. Has anyone tried this, or is this just nonsense?? I have a lot of experience with Ghost and ideally I think this would work if the PC's motherboard would recognize the Iphone as a removable flash drive.

Also..does anyone know what the iTunes backup does??? Does it backup any of the applications, or just songs and user settings? What kind of format is the backup in...does it make a compressed archive when the backup is completed?? How long does the backup process take?

Thanks for all the help. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Athabasca

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.