Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2021
What is the logic in the necessity in an iPhone being connected to a power source in order to automatically backup to iCloud?
If the battery is already up to full or near full charge, then it must be left charging anyway in order for the automatic backup to occur?
Similarly, what is the reason for the necessity of being connected to WiFi in order to backup?
And...........In order to back up over cellular, does the phone still need to be connected to a power source?
Just trying to understand the process, thanks!
iPhone 13 Pro iOS 17.4

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What is the logic in the necessity in an iPhone being connected to a power source in order to automatically backup to iCloud?
You don't want the backup interrupted and left in an incomplete or corrupted state either local or cloud.
Similarly, what is the reason for the necessity of being connected to WiFi in order to backup?
A lot of folks don't have "unlimited" data plans.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2021
You don't want the backup interrupted and left in an incomplete or corrupted state either local or cloud.

A lot of folks don't have "unlimited" data plans.
Does the phone then somehow sense that it is connected to a power supply and if it doesn't, then it won't backup?
One of the reasons I'm interested in this info is that I don't like to leave my phone on the charger overnight to ensure a backup. And even if I do, with the frequent power outages here, a backup may get interrupted anyway.
I get it on the data plans, I just wondered if the phone still needed to be connected to a power source to backup over cellular.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can always initiate a Manual Backup without connecting to power or doing backup over wifi only (applicable only to recent iOS versions and certain devices). What you describe is to let it happen automatically, which even for me with good power and internet often find it just fail or refuse to do Anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.