Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aGreenPlum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I've posted something on Reddit after discovering I'd probably get a better response from here.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It would make sense throttling performance with an old battery if the battery charge is low but throttling the performance with an old battery when the battery has a lot of charge... That seems shady.

Anyone able to clarify? If I could get answers from a few people that'd be great.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
My understanding is the output voltage of an old battery isn’t purely dependant on charge level, so without the throttling you could still have voltage drop offs even with sufficient charge.

Reactions: coolfactor

aGreenPlum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I very much doubt most people on the internet are electrical engineers including myself so it's hard to understand what's actually happening here, certainly looks bad on Apple though.

May I ask if you are experiencing a slow down?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I very much doubt most people on the internet are electrical engineers including myself so it's hard to understand what's actually happening here, certainly looks bad on Apple though.

May I ask if you are experiencing a slow down?

My wife’s 6 was pretty slow on iOS 11, and then we got a warning saying the battery needed servicing. It was serviced (£79) but then immediately sold as this all happened as I was getting an X and she took my 7 Plus.

The key thing I think we need to consider is what if Apple did nothing? There’d be stories about iPhones dying when the battery wasn’t 0 and people thinking this meant the battery was faulty. They can’t win.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would make sense throttling performance with an old battery if the battery charge is low but throttling the performance with an old battery when the battery has a lot of charge... That seems shady.

Yes, I'm still using iPods from 7+ years ago and the batteries are still good enough.

I think Apple's goal for thinness has reached a breaking point. The thin batteries, as they age, are no longer suitable to drive today's powerful A-series processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.