Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have a launch date iPhone 12 Pro Max with AppleCare+. The battery health has dropped to 88 % and I already have to charge it twice per day now which is super annoying. Has anyone had any experience regarding how generous Apple is when it comes to battery replacements above 80 % when you have AppleCare+? Do you think they may replace it for free? I personally do not care if they will count it as 1 of my 2 incidences within 12 months.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
I have a launch date iPhone 12 Pro Max with AppleCare+. The battery health has dropped to 88 % and I already have to charge it twice per day now which is super annoying. Has anyone had any experience regarding how generous Apple is when it comes to battery replacements above 80 % when you have AppleCare+? Do you think they may replace it for free? I personally do not care if they will count it as 1 of my 2 incidences within 12 months.
From my experience, they won't do it if the battery is above 80% (well, I got them to do it once I was at 80%, and that was at the store, on the chat/phone support they were telling me that my battery was passing the test). They will blame it on something else draining your phone battery, expect the usual reset of your phone type of process.

You can still do it, but you will need to pay for the full cost of battery replacement.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
Here’s what’s gonna happen if you try.

The first step they’d do is factory reset your iPhone and tell you to observe for a couple days. If you can still prove that your battery is bad even after a factory reset and that you needed to recharge twice to get through the day, they’re gonna ask you to pay for it since the incident is not covered as it’s over 80%. Argue with them to get them to do it during the second visit. They probably won’t.

Then you’re gonna get an email the next morning asking about your experience. Write a scathing review about your experience and end it with something along the lines of “why do I even bother writing a review? No one reads this anyway”. Give it a couple days and you’re gonna hear from the manager or supervisor of that location and offer you a courtesy replacement.

Reactions: arkitect

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
From my experience, they won't do it if the battery is above 80% (well, I got them to do it once I was at 80%, and that was at the store, on the chat/phone support they were telling me that my battery was passing the test). They will blame it on something else draining your phone battery, expect the usual reset of your phone type of process.

You can still do it, but you will need to pay for the full cost of battery replacement.
Interesting, I have 12 pro max for one year (bought 14.1.2021). Using it as my daily device all the time, as I do not have another phone. My battery capacity is at 94% and I have never experienced situation when I had to recharge my phone twice a day. I believe it is annoying, but I am curious what does your battery daily usage stats say and also how has been the phone battery holding up for the past 10 days. Can you share the screenshots from your device? It may bring some light into the issue.

cheers

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
shame! but thanks anyway. I will try yet another restore and see if it does anything in a weeks time
At least that’s what I did to get them to replace the battery on my 6s when I could see the percentage drop like a countdown for a rocket launch every time I manually updated apps. They still didn’t see anything wrong with it.

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.
I don't think at this stage there's much chance of a free battery replacement my friend because Apple are categorically denying there's a problem. As of yesterday Apple Care and my local Apple Store told me this is absolutely normal battery health, therefore we won't change the battery 'Free of Charge' but you can pay £69 for a replacement battery!

My iPhone 12 Pro Max was delivered to me in the UK on 13 November 2020 as of writing this
Tuesday 8 February it is at just 89% see image below, even after I told them there is page after page on the Apple discussions site they still would not would not accept there is a battery health issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max ??

Attachments

• Pro Max Battery Health.png
    Pro Max Battery Health.png
    497.6 KB · Views: 133

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
When this happens just say one or your buttons are not working as expected/loose, or your display sometimes doesn’t respond to touches and do an Express Replacement. Something vague that is difficult to prove. You’ll get a new phone with a new battery and just send yours back. I’ve never been charged an AppleCare+ incident. We’ve unfortunately got to the point where you have to lie to get a service done.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
The launch day and a quite a few batches of the 12 series had bad batteries from there vendor I was told from an apple store employee. Some apple stores have been quietly replacing them

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
When this happens just say one or your buttons are not working as expected/loose, or your display sometimes doesn’t respond to touches and do an Express Replacement. Something vague that is difficult to prove. You’ll get a new phone with a new battery and just send yours back. I’ve never been charged an AppleCare+ incident. We’ve unfortunately got to the point where you have to lie to get a service done.

But in exchange, you a refurbished device. Not sure that's a good idea when the alternative is only $69.

Reactions: Sweet Pikake

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
They all come with a new outer shell and battery. You cannot tell the difference at all. I’ve had “refurbished” phones which were much better quality than the brand new retail ones.
While this is true, I still would not want a remanufactured phone with various parts from other phones that are working. Maybe after certain amount of years. But then I always get a new phone anyways.

Reactions: JPack

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Here’s what’s gonna happen if you try.

The first step they’d do is factory reset your iPhone and tell you to observe for a couple days. If you can still prove that your battery is bad even after a factory reset and that you needed to recharge twice to get through the day, they’re gonna ask you to pay for it since the incident is not covered as it’s over 80%. Argue with them to get them to do it during the second visit. They probably won’t.

Then you’re gonna get an email the next morning asking about your experience. Write a scathing review about your experience and end it with something along the lines of “why do I even bother writing a review? No one reads this anyway”. Give it a couple days and you’re gonna hear from the manager or supervisor of that location and offer you a courtesy replacement.
Just please give the team member a good score, it’s outside their control.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I don't think at this stage there's much chance of a free battery replacement my friend because Apple are categorically denying there's a problem. As of yesterday Apple Care and my local Apple Store told me this is absolutely normal battery health, therefore we won't change the battery 'Free of Charge' but you can pay £69 for a replacement battery!

My iPhone 12 Pro Max was delivered to me in the UK on 13 November 2020 as of writing this
Tuesday 8 February it is at just 89% see image below, even after I told them there is page after page on the Apple discussions site they still would not would not accept there is a battery health issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max

I wish I could get my launch day 12 Pro Max’s battery replaced. I am at 85% now and charge twice a day and top up for 10 minutes riding to and and from work everyday. I have to carry a portable power bank with me in case it die when I’m not here a charger.

Reactions: Ram65

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.
I wish I could get my launch day 12 Pro Max’s battery replaced. I am at 85% now and charge twice a day and top up for 10 minutes riding to and and from work everyday. I have to carry a portable power bank with me in case it die when I’m not here a charger.
When I spoke to Apple Store they were deadly serious, when they said, "This is absolutely normal battery health".

I charge my Pro Max as instructed and allow the Apple software to manage the charge, I don't have 'Background App Refresh' turned on, I don't use 'Social Media', play games on my phone and where possible I use 'Dark Mode'. I have also Emailed tcook@apple.com with no response from him as yet! ? maybe that's wishful thinking, I just can't see with so many Pro Max iPhones out in the wild with the same issue, there isn't a problem with the battery/software ?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
When I spoke to Apple Store they were deadly serious, when they said, "This is absolutely normal battery health".

I charge my Pro Max as instructed and allow the Apple software to manage the charge, I don't have 'Background App Refresh' turned on, I don't use 'Social Media', play games on my phone and where possible I use 'Dark Mode'. I have also Emailed tcook@apple.com with no response from him as yet! maybe that's wishful thinking, I just can't see with so many Pro Max iPhones out in the wild with the same issue, there isn't a problem with the battery/software

I truly believe there is an issue with the 12 series batteries. I don’t care how much they say it’s normal, it’s not. I’ve never had an iPhone where the battery degraded so quickly. I use Low Power mode, turned Background App refresh off, use a 5W brick, have optimized charging on and I still have to charge twice a day. Without my battery pack, I would be SOL. I can’t wait until the 14 series launches.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately

Tuesday 8 February it is at just 89% see image below, even after I told them there is page after page on the Apple discussions site they still would not would not accept there is a battery health issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max 🥴🤬

As much as £69 is money in my pocket and not theirs sometimes I’d rather just pay and get what I want done instead of going through this charade.

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.

Tuesday 8 February it is at just 89% see image below, even after I told them there is page after page on the Apple discussions site they still would not would not accept there is a battery health issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max ??

My iPhone Pro Max ? is now down to 88%. Here in the UK, between 2000 and 2014, more than 700 sub-postmasters were wrongly accused of theft. Almost all said no, it isn't us, it's your accounting system that can't count. With so many sub-postmasters saying the same thing, it just had to be the product not the individual.

Around the world there are so many iPhone Pro Max user's complaining about the rubbish battery health that we are suffering! Do we have to wait 7 years for Apple to admit there is a problem with the battery health, just like the sub-postmasters? Or is Apple so 'Cocker a Hoot' about who they are and continue to look down on their loyal 'whingeing' customers?

PS: I'm still waiting for a reply from Mr T. Cook

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I don’t think Apple is going to ever admit that the 12 series iPhones have defective batteries. They want us to continue upgrading to the newest and greatest.
Sad but true and we will be upgrading to newest iPhone once again

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.
Hello all you rightful iPhone 12 'battery health' complainers ? Im still banging on Apple's front door regarding this battery health issue. I first posted about this back in February 2022 after watching battery health deteriorate month after month and all the nonsense from Apple care and in-store the 'Genius' like oh this is absolutely normal battery health! Oh yes I'm still waiting to hear back from Mr T. Cook on this.

As my battery health as not dropped any more since I installed IOS 15.4.1 that was released to the public on Thursday 31/March/2022 that was actually released to rectify a battery drain issue along with other bug fixes!

I truly believe that the battery in my iPhone 12 Pro Max has been irreversibly damaged by a previous version of IOS software! Overtime there have been so many (Dozens & Dozens) of disgruntled iPhone 12 user on the Apple community pages complaining about the same thing. Can we all be wrong?

Last edited:

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
As much as £69 is money in my pocket and not theirs sometimes I’d rather just pay and get what I want done instead of going through this charade.
Amazing if you can get them to do this. I asked but they said no, I can't purchase the battery replacement until battery health is 80% or less. I made it clear I'm not trying to get it done under AppleCare and just want to use the battery replacement service they have advertised, but no, they said it was definitely that service they were indicating also needs to be 80% or less.

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
I think this must be partially the case. I've seen another Apple phone in my home degrade WAY more slowly with exactly the same charging method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.