Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hi is it ok to go to Best Buy to do a battery replacement as they r a authorized Apple provider or am I better to go to a Apple store? Will the battery be replaced the same day I take it? It is a drive for me to either place is why I am wondering. This is for a iPhone se 2020. Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi is it ok to go to Best Buy to do a battery replacement as they r a authorized Apple provider or am I better to go to a Apple store? Will the battery be replaced the same day I take it? It is a drive for me to either place is why I am wondering. This is for a iPhone se 2020. Thanks
Best Buy can do it. You'll get an OEM battery. They have to operate under Apple's rules, so they'll chat up Apple support first to get authorization.

BB might not be same day though. Apple should be, unless there is some reason they need to send it elsewhere. It'll take about an hour.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
BB might not be same day though. Apple should be, unless there is some reason they need to send it elsewhere. It'll take about an hour.
Depending on whether they have the battery in stock, whether the Geek who does battery replacements is working, and whether it can be scheduled, BB can replace the same day. I just had an iPhone XR battery replaced at BB. They didn't have the battery in stock so I had to wait 3 days... which turned into 10 days because they damaged the iPhone XR display and replaced the device w/ a new (possibly refurb) iPhone XR.. which was eligible for AC+. Figured I'd go for the monthly AC+ for the next year in the event my son damages the phone.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Depending on whether they have the battery in stock, whether the Geek who does battery replacements is working, and whether it can be scheduled, BB can replace the same day. I just had an iPhone XR battery replaced at BB. They didn't have the battery in stock so I had to wait 3 days... which turned into 10 days because they damaged the iPhone XR display and replaced the device w/ a new (possibly refurb) iPhone XR.. which was eligible for AC+. Figured I'd go for the monthly AC+ for the next year in the event my son damages the phone.
I didn't know with BB, thanks. I went to them for a battery replacement, but Apple wouldn't allow them to replace it because it was for a 6 Plus.

My only experience with Apple not replacing same day was mid-2017 I think. By that point, Apple was shipping the iPhone 5 to their main repair center and simply replacing the phone. So, had to wait for them to get the phone in.

As to your XR, Apple would tell you that it's 'remanufactured'. New casing, new battery and any parts failing QC replaced.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi is it ok to go to Best Buy to do a battery replacement as they r an authorized Apple provider or am I better to go to an Apple store? Will the battery be replaced the same day I take it? It is a drive for me to either place is why I am wondering. This is for a iPhone se 2020. Thanks
I would get Apple to do the replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
uBreakiFix is good as well, if there is one in your area. They are also Apple certified and they offer OEM parts and a one year warranty.

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Well that doesn’t sound or be a good recommendation to take to Best Buy,

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
uBreakiFix is good as well, if there is one in your area. They are also Apple certified and they offer OEM parts and a one year warranty.
I just talked with ubreakitifix and they told me they don’t use genuine Apple batteries. Thanks though.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Set up a replacement booking via Support App. Then you are sure it will be OEM parts and that they have time :)

In Poland we don’t have Apple Store but some Resellers can do battery replacement with part authorization in their stores. So when booked I had new battery after 45min

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just talked with ubreakitifix and they told me they don’t use genuine Apple batteries. Thanks though.
Interesting. I wonder if it is a shop by shop basis then. The store that is local to me does use OEM parts and they have a sign that they are a Certified Apple Repair store.

Based on my first replacement, I took my son's SE2 there to replace its battery as well. Because the SE2 is a newer model iPhone the shop had to pair the battery with the device - something they did not have to do when I took my 6 Plus in.

My son has not received any on-device iOS notices that he is using a non-OEM battery.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
A couple years ago I had the battery replaced successfully for an 7+ at BB. I was giving it to someone who needed a bigger screen phone.

I've had a failure with an X at an Apple store. Claimed the screw was stripped. The implication was someone tried to replace unsuccessfully. The Apple store was the only one who had tried it, so maybe from factory bad? :)

I'll be trying Apple for a battery on a 12 Pro soon. Under AC+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.