Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Does Apple replace your battery with a new one?

I have never had to replace one yet, but was just curious.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Yes, brand new.. I'm planning on getting my battery replaced on my X in the near future.. I had the one on my 6S done and it took about 1 hour.

Can you get this done in an Apple store or were you going to go a 3rd party route? I'd love to get the battery in my 8 replaced but don't want to send it in and be without it for a week.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Can you get this done in an Apple store or were you going to go a 3rd party route? I'd love to get the battery in my 8 replaced but don't want to send it in and be without it for a week.
Yes You can go to an Apple store or 3rd party. For Apple, If the battery is above 80% they won’t replace it unless something drastic happens

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks for the reply! My iPhone 8 is at about 85% but it seems to drain really fast. Will they not replace it even if you are paying?
This is my stupid experience right now. Spoke to Apple yesterday, I am willing to pay $69 for a new battery on my 12 Pro Max (dropped to 83% health over the weekend, the daily drain is now unbearable)

I PAID for the Apple Care...so just replace the battery, and I give up...I'll pay the 69 bucks! What is the problem!?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
This is my stupid experience right now. Spoke to Apple yesterday, I am willing to pay $69 for a new battery on my 12 Pro Max (dropped to 83% health over the weekend, the daily drain is now unbearable)

I PAID for the Apple Care...so just replace the battery, and I give up...I'll pay the 69 bucks! What is the problem!?

Since the phone indicates that the battery is at “peak performance“ they see no reason to replace. That’s not to say you can’t have a compelling argument for a replacement.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I had it done at one of the local Apple stores.. It was pre-Covid so not sure how far in advance you need to setup an appointment..

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

That is strange, if your willing to pay for the replacement, not sure why they wouldn't. When I had my 6S done, it showed peak performance was available and they said it was fine but I told them I wanted it replaced regardless and they complied.. Maybe you should set an appointment up at a store and request it there unless that's not possible in your area. Seems sending it in gives people more issues than going directly to a store..

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
In the past, years ago, Apple would refuse replacing an iPhone battery unless it's capacity had dropped below a certain threshold measured on their proprietary machine— Regardless if a person was willing to pay for it up front.
After the iOS 10 throttling fiasco they created, they changed their evil ways and would replace an iPhone battery regardless of life remaining if a customer paid for it.
So either Aple has returned to their past shenanigans or the rep in the store wasn't up to speed. I'd contact them again online to get a confirmation.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.