Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I posted similar issues on another thread. My phone has no issue but the iPad Pro did. My culprit was my Arlo Basestation. Deleted it a week ago and instead of 20% loss on standby overnight…back to around 2-4%.
Hmm, wonder what’s causing it for me. How did you know it was the Arlo?

saw27

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2015
I had tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. I was having trouble removing an accessory from HomeKit that I thought might have been a problem and ran across a thread regarding issues with certain base stations. Started with the Arlo because of the cameras change in 15 just to try it. Deleted it and the drain stopped immediately and has not returned.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I had tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. I was having trouble removing an accessory from HomeKit that I thought might have been a problem and ran across a thread regarding issues with certain base stations. Started with the Arlo because of the cameras change in 15 just to try it. Deleted it and the drain stopped immediately and has not returned.
Good job . I don't have any base stations and l do have a lot of accessories so this is going to be a huge pita. But I do suspect something with cameras

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Good job . I don't have any base stations and l do have a lot of accessories so this is going to be a huge pita. But I do suspect something with cameras
How much background activity are you seeing for Home?

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
How much background activity are you seeing for Home?
It was anywhere from 14-25%. Since you asked, I decided to check especially since I updated to to 15.1 yesterday. Was hoping for it to be fixed. Well, silly me for thinking that lol…

1635453094047.png

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Hi, on my iPad, it seems that I have not found the solution yet... But I have found a workarround to not lose too much battery...
I have made an automation in shortcut app which turns off the Wifi every evening at 11:30 PM. Sometimes, I don't use my iPad during 2 days and this automation prevent battery drain during this time. Pretty smart solution and it makes me thinking that Apple should add a feature which turns off the Wifi when iPad is sleeping.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This problem still exists on 15.3. Anyone find a solution yet?
I just checked and I’m at 11% but haven’t checked in a while. Still no clue what’s causing it. It just says accessories. I saw someone post this on Reddit as well and I believe also in the iOS 15 sub forum here in MR.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
This problem still exists on 15.3. Anyone find a solution yet?

This problem got worse on 15.3 imo. I have 3 ATVs, 2 homepods and a bunch of homekit accessories. 15.3 looks to have moved location services from individual homepod settings in the home app, to the settings for the entire "home". With location services turned on, all of our phones and iPads were constantly pinged for location data. My 10.5" iPad pro would drain the entire battery over a day just from background requests in the home app.

Turning off location services for the entire home seems to slow the drain, but not completely. I have no way to remove the home app from an iPad without removing my entire home.

What in the world is Apple doing? Why are they forcing users to choose between abysmal battery life and homekit location services? Also, I don't have time to reset all of my device settings after each .1 OS update, this is getting ridiculous.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Same here, two iPhones, two iPads and even the Watches have massive battery drain — much worse than on 15.2 (which was bad also).

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Apple just released MacOS, iPad OS, Watch OS and iOS updates this morning. Let's see how this goes.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I noticed that my Thread network has become unreliable in the last few weeks. It used to be rock solid.
They seem to have messed something up. I‘m also using UniFi network gear and see poor WiFi experience scores for my Apple devices.

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I noticed this on my iPad last night and I don’t even have HomeKit installed (only on my iPhone).

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
My iPad lost 7/8% per day while connected to iCloud and since I have removed it, it's now 3/4%.
Is it normal ?

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Since I first looked at this post I have added a Starling hub back into my HomeKit setup.

Interesting. I’m running a Starling as well, but soon getting rid of it for other reasons. Works great but I want to put all my cameras in HKSV, now with unlimited support.

I have two Outdoor Nest Cams, a Learning Thermostat, and a Protect, and have been considering the Starling. You both like your Starling? Any downside?

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have two Outdoor Nest Cams, a Learning Thermostat, and a Protect, and have been considering the Starling. You both like your Starling? Any downside?
Love it. I have had absolutely zero issues with it. Works better than native HomeKit devices.

Reactions: sparky672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.