Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
My phone is back to working. Wasted almost two days with this nonsense, but feel I need to write this to help others.

My XS screen was flickering. Like an old tv that’s on its last limb. This happened one time before while it was still under warranty but then fixed itself. So, the screen was flickering then went fully black. I could hear phone calls coming in, text messages coming in but the screen was fully black and I couldn’t answer or do anything. Before this happened I knew I had about 95% battery.

Plugging it back into the charger just prolonged the problem because it kept the black screen alive. I finally gave up on it and ordered a new screen for it and was going to install it myself. (Can’t go to Apple store as they are closed due to covid, even the repair store in the mall closed since the mall is closed due to covid. I needed this phone to work ASAP to get all the calls and texts I was missing for work, etc.

I tried everything. I tried to reset it by holding down the volume button and the side buttons and it kept calling 911 SOS which I called four times and had to explain to them what happened so they didn’t send the police. (Need to find a way to disable this built in ?)

Finally after two days of the phone sitting it finally used up the battery power, and then the phone was just dead, dead for lack of power. For some reason, late last night I was really angry about this failure and got the phone out again (I was going to take it on a trip to a an Apple store that was open 2 hours away), and pressed buttons. Ta-da... The dead battery icon showed. I charged it 100%, and now it’s fine!

So... letting it DISCHARGE overnight may be the solution for this type of problem.

Also wondering how and why this fixed it. I asked a tech at an authorized Apple repair shop and hope he told me letting the phone fully die out can fix issues like these!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Obviously it's a messed up phone you can't trust anymore. If having an iPhone is important to you, buy another one

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Nope. I’d tou dig around and read about this issue after the phone dies and the battery is fully depleted it fixes itself. This is info that can help others.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Good to hear the phone is working again but considering this is a reoccurring problem for you since you dropped the phone I'd have to agree with @now i see it that it is hardware related and it's a problem that will most likely appear again..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.