Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidwellens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
Belgium
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster, as they say. I decided to make an account because a lot of threads have helped me a great deal, or at the very least pointed me in the right direction. Now I can give back to the community, but I also have a question of my own :confused:

One of my colleagues is having bluetooth problems on his iPhone and I hit a wall trying to find the cause.

Here's what I've come up with so far:
  • It didn't work on iOS 9.3.2
  • We then updated to iOS9.3.3 and it still doesn't work.
  • His laptop is running 10.11.4
  • Setting up Personal Hotspot on the iPhone and then connecting to it via laptop Wi-Fi doesn't work.
  • Standard "can't connect" error message and suggestion to use Wi-Fi diagnostics (also doesn't help).
  • Going to Bluetooth prefs on OSX and connecting there also doesn't work.
  • Pairing doesn't work, but we CAN see the iPhone. The Wi-Fi scanner also picks up the iPhone.
  • If we hook up the iPhone via cable and then set up a Personal Hotspot, it does work.
  • Surfing the web, everything works. Disconnect the cable and it stops again.
  • I'm successful in pairing my own iPhone to the laptop so it seems related to the other iPhone.
  • We removed the Bluetooth prefs from OSX > no change.
  • We reset the network settings on iOS > no change.
I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of an iPhone but I'm assuming working via tethering is a direct route via the cable and therefore a different connection method than over-the-air bluetooth signal?

Any ideas? o_O

Cheers,
David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.