Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jgpsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
So, I’m delighted with the super-sharp OLED screen on the iPhone XS Max.

A few times a year though, I find myself presenting an 8-hour seminar from my phone using the PowerPoint app and a projector. The static slides layouts are all the same and are in the company template of bright and contrasting orange and blues with clear edges.

Question is: should I be concerned about image retention on an OLED display from showing these slides over the course of a whole day several times a year? (I can set the brightness down to the lowest setting as I don’t need to look at the phone when presenting, as I hear burn-in is more of an issue at higher brightness settings).

Extra info: PowerPoint doesn’t continue to operate normally if I try to lock the phone. The screen has to stay on essentially. I use the free version so there is no ‘presenter view’ option (that could, for example, show notes instead of the current slide). I can (and do) turn the brightness right down. I like using my phone for the presentation as I can control it from my Apple Watch and there’s so much less to carry, so it’s a lot more convenient than using an iPad.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Burn-in happens when you have the same image over 4 hours in the same period. In your case I assume each slide takes what, 15 minutes tops? At any rate, if you are worried with burn in, try to move around objects (pictures, graphs, text boxes) and use effects on these as well. Nothing too flashy but enough to move those pixels. Also, using and entire slide for a graph isn't a bad idea.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

avtella

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2016
A few times a year isn’t a big deal. Usually the display models have burn in like 2 months because they’re on like 24/7 at peak brightness with also static content generally, which accelerates the differential decay of the phosphors (red/green/blue with blue sub pixel weakening the fastest as it has a fraction of lifespan as the other two sub pixels). Over time the differential decay will cause a color shift no matter what but it will be a while before it is noticeable in “normal” use I suppose. So unless you are using it like at max brightness regularly for many hours at a time with static content don’t worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.