Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I've had iPhones for a few years now and mostly use the stock camera app. I recently got the new iPhone SE and the quality of photos is noticeably better than my old phone which was a 1st generation SE. I have Obscura 2 which I occasionally use and I am thinking of getting Halide, having read lots of positive things about it. I just wondered how many camera apps people have. Do some of you have several and - if so - which are best? I'm trying to get an idea of what other people use.

infelix

macrumors member
May 23, 2020
I only have Halide installed besides the stock app. I wanted an app that would give me raw photos, don't know if it's the best or not but I'm happy with it until I find a better one.

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
On the iPhone 11 Pro
Stock camera - quite good.
Pro Camera - have it for jpeg and raw Good for editing and processing raws.
I tried Halide - results were good, but it lacked any processing or editing ability.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I've got a program called "Focus" on my iPhone 11 Pro, and it's useful for creating special bokeh effects, more so than Apple's version, and I have another one called "Slow Shutter," which as the name suggests, is rather fun if one wants to slow the iPhone's shutter down and do slow-motion type stuff, which can produce interesting results, especially when swinging or slowly moving the iPhone back-and-forth or up-and-down. I find it easier to do this kind of thing with the iPhone than I do my actual larger, heavier camera and lenses!

Most of the time I am perfectly satisfied with the stock app that Apple provides and have had some pretty good results. I usually edit images in the computer if they're worth bothering with at all, rather than on the iPhone itself.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I have a mess of them, but the one I use most now is Lightroom's camera function in Lr Mobile. It syncs back to my desktop, which is super handy. And it allows me to shoot DNGs, since I dislike the JPEGs produced by Apple. On occasion if I'm being a bit more serious about shooting with the iPhone I use Camera M or Pro Cam.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
I used to swear by Pure Shot for saving as RAW files & all the controls it offered you, but in all honesty, I haven't even loaded it on the iPhone 11 Pro Max! I've just been using the native inbuilt camera app, using the focus & exposure controls it has & not bothering to edit them, saving images as HEIC/HEIF (I can never remember which acronym is the right one to use for photo's).

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I use the stock camera if I’m not shooting raw. It generally brings out the best possible shot and then I use independent editing apps for touch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.