Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I’ve been a bit of an “Apple purist” over the years: so I’ve stuck to Silver when it comes to iPhones.

Now I’m considering breaking that trend with Space Grey or Midnight Green.

I realize in the past there have been durability issues with other colors: is that still the case?

I prefer to run my phones naked (although I did buy a cheap thin case to help with grip this time around): so do the colored bezels hold up to abuse?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Durability issues?

The way I'm understanding your question is that you think the color may fade. Is that correct?

If so, all I can say is that my Black/Slate iPhone 5 is still Black/Slate. My white iPhone 4s is still white and my black iPhone 4 is still very much solid black.

My 6s+ continues to be Space Gray four years later as well.

Now, if you're talking scuffs, dings, scratches and the durability of the color in regards to that, well the only issue I've ever encountered personally was the whole Scuffgate business with the iPhone 5. I've never had a problem with anything else.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I suppose I’m referring to scuffgate?

I understand that the color on the back is under the glass, so likely won’t be any issue there: but the band around the sides: does any scuff/scratch show bare metal underneath?

I’m not too tough on my phones, but my silver phones do get scratches with use (of course the color is silver thru and thru so it doesn’t stand out as much as, say, a black paint chipping off and showing silver under)

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
That’s my dilemma also. On my silver stainless phones I can easily buff out the stainless steel bands with cap cod clothes to make it look like new again.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's a reasonable guess that the green will have roughly the same wear characteristics as the gold and space gray. It's probably worth looking for feedback (and complaints) on those two.
That’s my dilemma also. On my silver stainless phones I can easily buff out the stainless steel bands with cap cod clothes to make it look like new again.

Another thing is that depending on your case, you may not even really see the bands. I like the Apple leather cases, and all you see is small part of the bottom of the bands - so color doesn't really matter to me, and I like knowing that I can't scratch through the colored finish with the Lightning cable end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.