Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Do you guys who get the fancy colors just not get a case?

I’ve always gotten black because it’s neutral and 96% covered by the case anyway.

I guess if you want a little of the iPhone color peeking out from under your case you get one of the fancy colors?

Reactions: krspkbl

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
This is the whole argument, why bother if you're going to put a case on it.

This is why the last 4-5 years I started to take my cases off when I'm at home.

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I always try and get a blue iPhone, like my 15 PM, I put a thin clear case on it and I see the color thru the case.

Does the color,still look nearly as,good with the clear case on it?

My understanding is, at least with the iPhone 15 colors, the colors look different ways when light is shined on them different ways. Doesn’t a clear case mess up that lighting effect?

Reactions: Polo13

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I only have/had one iPhone, an SE I bought 3 or 4 years ago. All they had in stock was Red, not my first choice but I didn't really care. Slapped a black, rubberized Apple case onto it, and it became a black phone with a straight, thin, red line across one side (the bottom).
I looked at it. I looked at it again. Uh?
Then it hit me: it perfectly matched all three of my Nikon camera bodies, Basic Black with a thin red line or swoosh on them! I was mildly excited for about 8 minutes, Cool!

(read somewhere, years ago, that Nikon had paid the Italian studio that also tweaked Ferrari bodies, more than I made in several years, to "design" those red lines and swooshes; I picked the wrong career field. Part of the Nikon Tax, I guess)

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Does the color,still look nearly as,good with the clear case on it?

My understanding is, at least with the iPhone 15 colors, the colors look different ways when light is shined on them different ways. Doesn’t a clear case mess up that lighting effect?
I always get the Totallee thin clear cases and I think the color can be seen through the case. Yes it still looks different when the light hits it different.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I grew bored of black phones years ago. Yawn. I go for wild colours now but yes, in their cases you can't tell.

cloudpusher

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022

I’ve always gotten black because it’s neutral and 96% covered by the case anyway.

I guess if you want a little of the iPhone color peeking out from under your case you get one of the fancy colors?

No, I never got a case in my life.

Reactions: klasma

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Normally I'd agree, but I've decided to go caseless this time around. It's been nice to be able to enjoy the color.

Reactions: arkitect

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
Probably same reason why we get different colors/patterns for our undergarments. No one really sees it, but the wearer knows and it gives them good feels.

I have my iphone in a case, but remove it from the case once in a while to see a color that I enjoy.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

A bit of a simpleton take.. can you not fathom that not everyone will use a case?

Zayway86

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Some people use a case that effectively hides the color of the phone, some people use a clear case (so the phone color still shows) and some people use no case at all. Point being that there are legitimate reasons to care about the color of the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRC

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I used to use black cases, mainly the Otterbox Defender. I've now switched to clear cases so you can see the color of the phone. No, it's not the same as going caseless, but a good clear case will show the color. I won't go caseless because it doesn't matter how careful you are, you will eventually drop the phone.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I only use a case at work, any other time I don’t use a case and appreciate the colour choice.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I once put on a clear case on my iPhone, but it was so slippery it kept sliding over my tables (no joke). So I resorted to using silicone cases again. To be honest, it doesn’t matter that much for me. With my small hands using an iPhone 15 Pro Max, I rather have the insurance of a case that fits well in the hands than going naked and risk dropping my phone.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I thought about getting the white Pro Max then remembered I was just gonna stick it in a case so it didn't matter. I went with the black model. I'm a sucker for an all black look. I got the black pro max with black case and midnight series 9 with midnight band.

I'm not a fan of clear cases. The ones I've tried were plastic and felt too bulky. If I could find a good clear silicone case that was as slim fitting as my Spigen liquid air then I'd buy that.

edit: obviously i've not looked because there are a couple of nice clear Spigen ones. Maybe I'll try one out if I need a new case for magsafe.

Last edited:
Reactions: landonalder

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

I got the iPhone color that will sell well in the used market.

I have been using a Spigen "Liquid Air" case since they launched for all the applicable iPhones I have.

I need a case that avoids scuffs, scratches and other blemishes that would make selling the iPhone after 2 years difficult.

Reactions: svish

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I thought about getting the white Pro Max then remembered I was just gonna stick it in a case so it didn't matter. I went with the black model. I'm a sucker for an all black look. I got the black pro max with black case and midnight series 9 with midnight band.

I'm not a fan of clear cases. The ones I've tried were plastic and felt too bulky. If I could find a good clear silicone case that was as slim fitting as my Spigen liquid air then I'd buy that.
I ordered and am getting the Raptic clear Air case today. I'll report back on what I think. I currently have a two year old Raptic case that has the clear back, but the sides are black metal with rubber for grip. I really like it because of how protective it is, but wanted to try a fully clear case.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
I've never ever used a case sice I am carrying around mobile phones (and that's over 25 years). I just hate them.
So for me, the color is visible everyday 😁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.