Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
So I did a battery replacement for my iPhone, upon returning the device i noticed that the screw was stripped and around the screwhole were scuff. looked like some genius used bruteforce AND slipped. Went back to the Apple Store and told the Genius Manager about my case, of course they did not want to acknowledge they did this.

The manager told me I put a signature on the form when they took my iPhone in, which said scratches around the enclosure. I have to say that I first rejected the description scratches during the Genius appointment upon taking in my device, but they said during take-in, they call general wear usage 'scratches' (in my opinion a scratch is when i put a knife on the enclose and begin scratch it or slide against a hard surface), the Genius said normale wear usage is always described as scratches and when it is really deep they call it 'scuffs'. So after that explanation I signed, upon receiving it there were scuffs obviously from the repair.

I asked where I could file a complaint and they gave me the email of their Apple Store, which I think is pointless as they did not acknowledge their fault in the Store.

I requested the Genius manager to call in the manager who sat during the take-in but he did not do that. Because of this I wonder if there any other way to file a complaint about this bad service experience at the store (Europe)?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'd say if you signed something saying the phone had scratches before the repair your options are limited. Unless there is a detailed description on where the scratches were located, it will be your word against theirs.. I'd say call Apple customer support and see if they can help sort it out.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'd argue stripped screws are something quite different than just scratches.

Minor scratches from a regular use of a device are a normal thing. Stripped screws are not.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Screws are replaced any time they open your iPhone. I'm surprised they didn't replace them.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In the future, take pictures (with date stamp) of the device before turning it over to the Apple Store. And further more, make sure that the Apple Store attaches a copy of said pictures to the sign in form and have the person checking you in initial the form with the pictures attached.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
I'd say if you signed something saying the phone had scratches before the repair your options are limited. Unless there is a detailed description on where the scratches were located, it will be your word against theirs.. I'd say call Apple customer support and see if they can help sort it out.
That’s exactly what is happening although I complained about the word “scratches” but they said they call it “scratches” in real life what you saw were vertical marks from my transparant case where its been for years. So I agreed upon that rather the writing.

Reactions: luminocity

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
In the future, take pictures (with date stamp) of the device before turning it over to the Apple Store. And further more, make sure that the Apple Store attaches a copy of said pictures to the sign in form and have the person checking you in initial the form with the pictures attached.
I remember doing that with my first two iPhones in the past. Now i did not and you get this. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So I did a battery replacement for my iPhone, upon returning the device i noticed that the screw was stripped and around the screwhole were scuff. looked like some genius used bruteforce AND slipped. Went back to the Apple Store and told the Genius Manager about my case, of course they did not want to acknowledge they did this.
[...]

I requested the Genius manager to call in the manager who sat during the take-in but he did not do that. Because of this I wonder if there any other way to file a complaint about this bad service experience at the store (Europe)?
This will become a he/she said deal. In the end, if you had scratches before hand, it'll be used against you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.