Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DzR-BaM

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Hi All,

I have an issue on my iPhone X also had the same issue on my iPhone 6+ so it may be Modem/Router related.

Intermittently when im on Wifi at home data will stop transferring, eg I could be watching youtube and it will just pause, if I change to 4g the video will begin again.

The issue has occurred with 2 phones X and 6+ and the X was restored from the 6+ backup, so cannot rule that out. Ive searched but unable to see the exact issue, Has anyone heard of this issue before or knows anyway to maybe avoid this occurring?

I have done limited troubleshooting, apart from restarting the modem (telstra supplied FTTN modem), I am thinking of adding a dedicated IP to the phone to see if that helps, but seems weird its happening to both phones, other iPhone owners in the house do not appear to have the same issue.

Have also reset Network settings.
Thanks

Last edited:

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Have you try getting the modem exchange? Are you paying monthly to rent the modem? If yes, personally, I would buy my own modem + router and not have pay for renting. Generally, ISP modem / router combo sucks compare to getting your own. I don’t have your issue with 2 iPhone X and other iOS devices using my own hardware.

Last edited:

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
check the WIFI ip address you get when it stops working. Mine goes to 169 ip address when moving between access points.

Is this also on 5ghz channel? My iphone X (2 of them) drop wifi when on 5ghz. Change it to 2.4ghz and its fine.

Are you with Sky ? Im on Sky Q and seems to be a commonish problem if you google it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.