Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Besides the fact that in order to do this you would need to illegally obtain the beta firmware, this doesn't work anymore. This was only true for early beta versions - tools haven't been updated to activate or jailbreak newer devices, and you still need a provisioning profile if you DID get 2.0 activated without being in the program.

True. I read a bunch of FAQs and saw a video showing how to use PwnageTool 1.1 to atleast jailbreak / activate (but not unlock) some beta build of 2.0. These docs/vids were made around April so I can understand what you're saying about it not working now. However, I thought I read somewhere that the iPhone Dev team knows what to do with the latest builds, they're just purposely not releasing it for fear of Apple closing their exploit. I'm confident that a solution will come out that will atleast let me put my app on my phone without having to ask Apple's permission first.

Thanks!

tonyfortpedro

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Needs more cowbell

Here's my thing. Needing a small pool of beta developers to deal with, and given the way that code signing works on the iPhone, I can see Apple's need to limit the initial pool of developers. Since they're giving out code signing keys, I can see Apple's need to control who can/can't develop apps and put them on the store.

Let's say I have a great idea for an app, and I have the technical knowledge to code it. But if I don't have any way to test it running on a real phone, no guarantee that I'll ever be accepted into the developer program or ever be able to get my app into the App Store, it makes me not want to spend the time working on my app. It's a business risk I'm not willing to take in such a total absence of information.

Will Apple continue to constrain the number of developers after the SDK's official release? Or will the playing field be open as long as I'm not writing an app that violates the terms of service (VOIP, Pr0n, etc)?

I would certainly like some clarification.

MrRage

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Here's my thing. Needing a small pool of beta developers to deal with, and given the way that code signing works on the iPhone, I can see Apple's need to limit the initial pool of developers. Since they're giving out code signing keys, I can see Apple's need to control who can/can't develop apps and put them on the store.

Let's say I have a great idea for an app, and I have the technical knowledge to code it. But if I don't have any way to test it running on a real phone, no guarantee that I'll ever be accepted into the developer program or ever be able to get my app into the App Store, it makes me not want to spend the time working on my app. It's a business risk I'm not willing to take in such a total absence of information.

Will Apple continue to constrain the number of developers after the SDK's official release? Or will the playing field be open as long as I'm not writing an app that violates the terms of service (VOIP, Pr0n, etc)?

I would certainly like some clarification.

I really think they will open it up after the the July 11 launch or a little while after that. But hey you still have the emulator that does just about everything... at least enough for you to make a demo, video tape it and find a group to work with if it comes to that.

But really... they want as many people as they can get for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.