Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

remotestart81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I'm getting my phone Friday and would like to develop for it... don't own a mac and know you need to develop on one...

1) What kind of mac hardware (cheap) would suffice for this?

2) Is VMWare (of a mac os) possible on a Windows machine?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
1: Cheapest intel mac you can find would work great

2: Yes but not simple or legal.

Note that you have to pay 99USD to be a member of the developer program to submit to the app store. Downloading SDK is free, developing and simulating on your own is free, but you have to pay to put it on a phone. :(

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I'm getting my phone Friday and would like to develop for it... don't own a mac and know you need to develop on one...

1) What kind of mac hardware (cheap) would suffice for this?

2) Is VMWare (of a mac os) possible on a Windows machine?

Any new Mac is capable of developing for the iPhone. The Mac Mini is your cheapest option there.

Not legally, if you have time to hack the hell out of it you can do it, but it really is easier to just drop $600 on a Mini.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, you can do it just fine on a Mac Mini. Even the cheapest models will work fine for this. Just so long as it's a Core Duo or Core2Duo... You'll want to upgrade it to Leopard as well... And you'll want at least a 24" display (Ok, I'm a programming snob, I need LOTS of screen space when coding.)

You do NOT need to pay the $99 to write software for the iPhone for personal use. You CAN install anything you write yourself onto your phone. You can even give it to some friends as well (adhoc distrobution.) If it's something you want to put up on the AppStore THEN you need the $99 license (in order to sign the code.) But for personal use, you can write and install all the software you like on your own phone!

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Yeah, you can do it just fine on a Mac Mini. Even the cheapest models will work fine for this. Just so long as it's a Core Duo or Core2Duo... You'll want to upgrade it to Leopard as well... And you'll want at least a 24" display (Ok, I'm a programming snob, I need LOTS of screen space when coding.)

You do NOT need to pay the $99 to write software for the iPhone for personal use. You CAN install anything you write yourself onto your phone. You can even give it to some friends as well (adhoc distrobution.) If it's something you want to put up on the AppStore THEN you need the $99 license (in order to sign the code.) But for personal use, you can write and install all the software you like on your own phone!

You can only program for the iPhone in the simulator. You MUST pay the $99 in order to install it to a device.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks

Yes the more screen space the better... I have 4 LCDs on my desktop, and still run out of space! :p

--Zed

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Supposedly, if you jailbreak the sucker, you can transfer your app via SSH to it and it *should* run - but that's neither here nor there.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD

You can't install it on a phone without the $99 license, not even your own phone. XCode won't let you do it. If you change to device|release it will yell at you about not having a provisioned device (or some wording like that) until you install the necessary stuff (that you only get after paying the $99).

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You can't install it on a phone without the $99 license, not even your own phone. XCode won't let you do it. If you change to device|release it will yell at you about not having a provisioned device (or some wording like that) until you install the necessary stuff (that you only get after paying the $99).

Yea, that pisses me off so much. I'd LOVE to make a little application for everything I want/need. Even just for my phone or ad-hoc, but another 99 for that is going to be a little unreasonable.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
Yep mac mini, refurb if you can find 1. But if you create a great app then it will pay for itself many many times over. i request a VoIP app that will switch seamlessly from GSM to WiFi when in range of wifi. is it possible i think so. hurry up and get to work. Friday is soon approaching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.