Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I have an old iPhone X I left with a friend. Their kid entered the wrong passcode 10 times and now the iPhone is disabled.

I know I can just wipe and start over. But I still have data on there.

But I have both the correct iPhone passcode as well as the Apple ID and password.

Is there any way to try the passcode one more time?

If not, is there a way to trigger an iCloud backup?

I setup an automatic backups but for some reason the last backup was in March this year.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have an old iPhone X I left with a friend. Their kid entered the wrong passcode 10 times and now the iPhone is disabled.

I know I can just wipe and start over. But I still have data on there.

But I have both the correct iPhone passcode as well as the Apple ID and password.

Is there any way to try the passcode one more time?

If not, is there a way to trigger an iCloud backup?

I setup an automatic backups but for some reason the last backup was in March this year.
Did you have the "erase data after 10 failed attempts" enabled? If you did, your data is already gone...

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I don’t remember. Is there any way to check?

The phone is at least still functional. And I can confirm it still connects to Wi-Fi because I was able to locate it on Find My and make it ring.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don’t remember. Is there any way to check?

The phone is at least still functional. And I can confirm it still connects to Wi-Fi because I was able to locate it on Find My and make it ring.
I don't know for sure.. Have you contacted Apple support to see if they have a procedure to unlock the device without restoring it?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It still connects to wifi? My understanding is that wifi only works once the phone is unlocked (as it needs to be unlocked to get access to the wifi passwords).

So maybe it's just connected to mobile data? if it really is connected to wifi then plug it in, as that may trigger an iCloud backup that you can check from another device.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
It still connects to wifi? My understanding is that wifi only works once the phone is unlocked (as it needs to be unlocked to get access to the wifi passwords).

So maybe it's just connected to mobile data? if it really is connected to wifi then plug it in, as that may trigger an iCloud backup that you can check from another device

Yes I confirmed it still connects to WiFi. I removed the SIM card, and it still works with Find My's make sound function.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the phone is still "functional" and seems to have my preferences still saved (it goes to "Sleep Mode" every night at my set time).

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
There is no way to regain access, the phone needs to be wiped. This is regardless of whether that wipe after 10 attempts option was checked in settings or not. This applies to every iPad and iPhone except maybe very old ones that might not have had that security feature yet.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
If you haven’t, I’d try:

if it really is connected to wifi then plug it in, as that may trigger an iCloud backup that you can check from another device.

Apple said:
* If you restart your device when you see "Security Lockout" on the Lock Screen, you won't be able to reconnect to a Wi-Fi network until your device is unlocked. Cellular devices will reconnect to a cellular network if you have active service.

Otherwise, unfortunately, you will need to erase and setup again as noted by @okkibs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.