Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ittiandro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
A relative has given me her iPhone 5s( gsm)
I don’t need to activate it as a phone, because I don't need another phone. I’ll be using it as a camera and a few other features, possibly to transfer pDF books from my Android tablet.
I did however want to get a few free apps from the Apple store, for which I need to register.
So registered with my name, e-mail and phone number etc.
I received shortly after an automated call giving me a six digits ID number.
Due to a poor phone connection, I missed the 4th digit . I tried to run the ID several times by tryng all the numbers from 1-0 for the the 4th digit. Eventually I got the right one, but by the time my phone has been disabled ( now for two hours) and I can’t log in to use the photo apps .

I tried to perform both a recovery and a DFU operation, after downloading the iTunes for Windows on my PC.
I connected the iPhone to my PC. and I expected to see a screen on my Windows iTUNES interface showing that the recovery is in process..Unfortunately nothing happens, the darn iPhone keeps telling me that the phone is disabled and to try in an hour, but everytime it is the same story: I am stuck with a disabled, useless piece of junk. I am really frustrated.
Can anybody help?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
You’re not in DFU mode then.

Open iTunes, plug in the iPhone then enter DFU mode. Nothing should be on the screen if you entered DFU mode correctly, and iTunes will prompt you with a window that says the iPhone must be restored.

Ittiandro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
You’re not in DFU mode then.

Open iTunes, plug in the iPhone then enter DFU mode. Nothing should be on the screen if you entered DFU mode correctly, and iTunes will prompt you with a window that says the iPhone must be restored.

Thanks
I got it fixed at the Apple Store because I'd been working on it the whole day and I was sick and tired of working with such a microscopic gadget..Not terribly user-friendly....
Probably the cause of my problem was that the keyboard is so small ( one finger tip covers almost 2 keys !) that I must have mistyped my information when I registered.

Anyway, apart from the size, which is the downside of all the cell-phones, for a phone or a tablet I wouldn't go Apple because, unlike Android Play Store and Google Store , the online Apple Store has very few free apps and they even ask you to register with a c.c., just to access their online store, which I don't like AT ALL.as a matter of security. . Anyway, I later found a way not to...
For one thing,though, the iPhone is terrific, because it can double up as a mini pocket-tablet to read my books when I am not at home and to take photos.

Thanks for your hints

Ittiandro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.