Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
So I have been watching live streams with my iPhone 13 Pro and it gets really hot on the back of the phone.

Things still work as intended but 'hot'. Lately I have been noticing that when the phone is layin still on its back on the table, but the live stream is active (screen is still on). The phone does not seem to get warm nor hot.

Anyone able to explain why/how it is not getting hot when it lays still?

Tried clean install/reinstall the app.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
What kind of material is the tabletop made from?
The heat may be dissipating into the surface it's laying upon.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Nope. The heat is not transferred as the phone itself is really normal temperature.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
The heat is transferred to the table by conduction.
What kind of material is the tabletop made from?
The heat may be dissipating into the surface it's laying upon.
Nope it is any surface (table, couch and bed). The surface is not hot/warm the phone is also not hot/warm. But when I pick up the phone after 5 minutes its heating up again. So strange.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Then the other way the phone would rid itself of heat is by convection. When it's flat, you've exposed the most flat surface to the air above and heat rises.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Then the other way the phone would rid itself of heat is by convection. When it's flat, you've exposed the most flat surface to the air above and heat rises.
a good example is that the back of the iPhone gets hot. I place the phone with it's back on the couch, which usually is not good for heat dissipation, but when doing that the iPhone does not heat up. Only when it is in my hand it cranks the heat up again....

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Are you holding your phone when it gets warm?
Yes. only when I hold it in my hand it cranks up the heat, not when it lays still. (I am just holding it on the sides so the back is not touching my hands.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes. only when I hold it in my hand it cranks up the heat, not when it lays still. (I am just holding it on the sides so the back is not touching my hands.
You are still transferring body heat to the phone. Use a phone stand and you will find that the phone remains cool to the touch.

Reactions: Splitrail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.