Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earsly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hi All,

Ugh, I dropped my X in about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water for only about 5 minutes max.

I dried it out over the past 2 days. It can turn on and function completely normal. Then about 5 minutes in...it restarts into the apple logo loop.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I got everything backed up so its only a $ issue at this point. Thanks.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Call Apple and try to get them to repair or exchange it for you. Most stores are closed due to COVID-19, so bringing to the store is probably out. In NY, the 3rd party repair places are not considered 'essential' so they are closed.

Wife washed her 8. We caught it after 10-15 minutes. It sat in rice for 4 days. Water under the screen. Still works, but who knows for how long. She now has an Xs. No point in paying a ridiculous replacement cost for a 3 year old phone.

Reactions: Earsly

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
The battery is shorted (damaged). This happened to me a very long time ago to my iPhone 4. If you can find the nearest shop bring it there for a battery replacement.

If I'm not mistaken, the next symptoms will be: you will not be able to open it anymore unless it is hooked-up with a charger (please don't try to charge it anymore, because I tried it and it got worse). Might not be the case for an 'X' tho.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The battery is shorted (damaged). This happened to me a very long time ago to my iPhone 4. If you can find the nearest shop bring it there for a battery replacement.

If I'm not mistaken, the next symptoms will be: you will not be able to open it anymore unless it is hooked-up with a charger (please don't try to charge it anymore, because I tried it and it got worse). Might not be the case for an 'X' tho.

The iPhone 4 had absolutely no water resistance features. The likelihood of the battery in this case is pretty slim.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hi All,

Ugh, I dropped my X in about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water for only about 5 minutes max.

I dried it out over the past 2 days. It can turn on and function completely normal. Then about 5 minutes in...it restarts into the apple logo loop.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I got everything backed up so its only a $ issue at this point. Thanks.
Apple will only offer you an out of warranty replacement which is $549. You could take it to a 3rd party repair shop to be opened up to be cleaned and dried to see if it can be saved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.