Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaiKAimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
New Zealand
I am about to trade in my old iPhone 12 so I decided to erase all settings and >60GB content on the phone. I followed the instructions in settings and clicked Erase iPhone.

The white Apple logo appeared and the whole erasing process finished in like, 1-2 minutes? After this super short period of time the "Hello" set up screen appeared.

Is it even normal that a full erase finishes this quick? Are my data securely erased?

Any advice would be appreciated.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I am about to trade in my old iPhone 12 so I decided to erase all settings and >60GB content on the phone. I followed the instructions in settings and clicked Erase iPhone.

The white Apple logo appeared and the whole erasing process finished in like, 1-2 minutes? After this super short period of time the "Hello" set up screen appeared.

Is it even normal that a full erase finishes this quick? Are my data securely erased?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Your data isn't technically erased in the traditional sense. All your data is stored encrypted and your key is in the Secure Enclave. When you erase your phone, the key is destroyed so your data cannot be decrypted. This is why it's so quick.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.