Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
So as amazing as the iPhone is, I'm having one problem with it. I can't text some of my friends and parents easily because they only speak spanish. It's not impossible, but sometimes it'll correct a word which I don't catch and my girlfriend will be like "Why are you telling me to hold?" (I tried to type hola which changes to hold).

Additionally, it's sometimes hard to understand spanish if you don't put the accents in (Si vs. sí mean different things) or even worse, the lack of "ñ" can get you into trouble lol (Año vs. ano, two VERY different things).

At the very least, I would like Apple to provide us with a way to turn off the predictive text so that I can take care of writing in spanish and other languages. However, they definitely need to include multiple language support soon with the predictive features as well as accent marks and other symbols.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
This should be available as a software update relatively soon, as multiple people have had this problem.

¡Tengo catorce anos! :p

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
can you input other languages besides english at the moment? i would really like to type chinese on an iphone someday

C3POh

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Japanese

Many of my friends speak and read and write in Japanese. How can I write in Japanese? Maybe this will come out in the next version or the version for Europe or at the latest for Asia. But many here need this possibility now.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Well, Apple sure has made it easy for themselves to implement multi-lingual support into the iPhone (in the future)!

Want to type in Hebrew, Chinese, Katakana, English? Just change it from the 'International' menu (I know there aren't any menus) from the top (menu) bar. Apple can produce millions of the same phone that can all cater to every single different written language in the world!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.